I've been a bad boy

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I admit it has been over a month since I have used my main UDS. I have been grilling on the Weber though. I was prepping it this morning for some St Louis spare ribs and a batch of Keri's beans, for a pot luck dinner for my sons track team later today, when I noticed a large patch of mold on the bottom of the drum from the last cook (I assume drippings). I took my drum and hosed it out and then patted dry the bottom with paper towels and am now in the cooking process. Was this necessary? I was worried the mold would taint the meat and maybe make someone sick?

Cmwr - I think you did the right thing. I am not sure the mold would have left a real "flavor" but better safe than sorry. And for sure, the right thing to do from a sanitary standpoint. My two cents anyway.

Mold happens :) The best thing to do is clean it out and then give the cooker a high heat burn to kill any remaining mold spores.

This is one reason I have a weed burner. Heat is the best sanitizer of all and I would have burned it off. Mold is definitely a concern at lower cooking temperatures. The thing with bacteria is it may look clean but the bacteria is still there. A little time spent burning the inside of the drum is time well spent.

So the fact that I am cooking in it now without having done a burn out is ok? I hope so.....

You let the fire get up to temp for while before putting on the meat, right? I think you're fine

yes I let it burn for about 25 minutes or so with the lid off then when I put the meat on and put the lid on it's slowly climbs but it was around 225 to 250 degrees for a bit until I crack some more intake and got it up to 300. But since when it was warming up the heat was traveling upwards and out it didn't fully dry out the little bit of water that was still in the crust on the bottom of the drum.

I think your fine, if any bacteria survived it would have to travel through the high heat area to getto the food, and it probably wouldn't survive that. I might do a higher heat burnout when you are all done just to be sure for next time. I highly recommend a weed burner though.

you can get one from Harbor Freight for around 20 bucks, best investment i've made!

If I remember my high school biology right, most bacteria can't withstand anything above 180 degrees for five minutes. I think you're fine.
Was there any after-affects with anyone who ate with you?

If I remember my high school biology right, most bacteria can't withstand anything above 180 degrees for five minutes. I think you're fine.
Was there any after-affects with anyone who ate with you?

No body got sick. So I will remember this as a lesson.

Back