Beef Prices going UP!

Very true Bob and tarheel, it's a commodities market and with changing weather patterns and droughts there will be major fluctuations in the availability of feed products which will in turn affect the meat markets.

But at least the new farm bill will cover food stamps :tsk: and lower our subsidies.

Watch how high prices are yet to be, the markets haven't seen anything yet

But it pays for them. Never before has the farmer had to grow the food and pay for the people eating it. They were reduced by 1%, so is that really a reduction? Do you realize how many Billions are put into that program?

We better watch it this may get moved to N&P :laugh:

Items such as pork bellies (bacon) are commodities, because they are the harbinger of meat prices. When you see pork bellies rise in price, it is a signifier that there is less pork on the market and the price will rise. This is largely related to feed prices, as most pork is 100% reliant on manufactured feed. Same for corn and wheat, they are so integral to the grain market, and meat markets, they are the items to watch.

But it pays for them. Never before has the farmer had to grow the food and pay for the people eating it. They were reduced by 1%, so is that really a reduction? Do you realize how many Billions are put into that program?

We better watch it this may get moved to N&P :laugh:
Effective reduction in purchasing power, if you do not increase the amount of 'money' available, as prices rise, food still becomes more scarce.

We can go to N&P, and I can tell you why I don't believe in SNAP, even as a Liberal Californian. But, in terms of how it affects food prices, fewer government dollars will mean less consumption, means higher prices as well.

I love tofu, I love tofu

Very true.
But my point was more along the lines of the food stamp moneys have taken away our subsidies. Drastically at that.
That's why it took 2 years to pass this farm bill. We've been riding along on the other one because of the food stamp issue.

I may have to join you fellas there in N&P :noidea:

California is in a significant drought, and due to a lot of people not wanting to admit it, there are going to be significant losses to the agricultural industry in CA. I am betting that almost all of the herds will be down to minimal/zero head within 3 to 4 months. There is just no water.

Your in northern Cal and I don't know where your water comes from, but in SoCal I know they get a lot of water from Lake Mead. if you have seen the pics of the lake, its looking scary for Cali....And for idiots who are not wanting to admit it, they are part of the problem. I live in IL know there are going to be a lot more of water shortages out west in the years to come.
No water there, no cows= higher beef prices for the rest of us in the country too. Affects how much and what ill be BBQing:sad:...

Items such as pork bellies (bacon) are commodities, because they are the harbinger of meat prices. When you see pork bellies rise in price, it is a signifier that there is less pork on the market and the price will rise. This is largely related to feed prices, as most pork is 100% reliant on manufactured feed. Same for corn and wheat, they are so integral to the grain market, and meat markets, they are the items to watch.

Well thank goodness I can make great tasting homemade buckboard bacon with the less demanded pork butts -- $1.39/lb for MEATY bacon :)

This is just to easy to let go by..... you know its all the nutty teabaggers in the Republican party that are causing the problems.....

Notice how no one but me even gave an acknowledge to your political post?

Leave politics out of it.

Last edited:
Lake Mead is not going to be supplying much water to California either, the share holders of the water in the Colorado River are all looking at drought, and a severe draw down. I don't see how they are going to make it either.

Admittedly, ag uses amount to 68% of the water use in California. But, when I see statistics such as the average home in Palm Springs uses 800 gallons of water a day, and in L.A. uses 500 gallons a day, and 60% of that is for lawns, I say fark em all.

Hmmmmm WATER ? I got that,!!! Its a little frozen but u can have it ,,,

Sad thing is they're talking about a pipeline to pump water from the great lakes to other states.

The water tables throughout the country are at near record lows. This is also in part to the size of the population and the ability of the land to not be able to support it.

Sad thing is they're talking about a pipeline to pump water from the great lakes to other states.

The water tables throughout the country are at near record lows. This is also in part to the size of the population and the ability of the land to not be able to support it.
Not partly, wholly so. There are too many people for the available natural resources.

Lake Mead is not going to be supplying much water to California either, the share holders of the water in the Colorado River are all looking at drought, and a severe draw down. I don't see how they are going to make it either.

Admittedly, ag uses amount to 68% of the water use in California. But, when I see statistics such as the average home in Palm Springs uses 800 gallons of water a day, and in L.A. uses 500 gallons a day, and 60% of that is for lawns, I say fark em all.

San Diego and Los Angeles counties would suck every drop of water out of SoCal if they could..... And believe they have the right to do it!

Anyone know the story of the Owens valley in Cali? Do a google search!

Fark em!

I go to the local butcher shop and buy a 1/4 of beef and 1/2 hog to get the best prices. I know fresh is always best, but I'm cheap.

The beef price rise is a part of a cascade of events. West Texas suffered a severe multi-year drought which it is just now coming out of. There was no grass at all, and the smaller guys sold off their herds and let the land lay fallow. The bigger operators shipped parts of their herds further north up in the Great Plains. The result was a significant decrease in the beef cattle populations.

Considering that a cow can have one calf a year (9 month gestation), and some of those will need to be held back for breeding stock, it will take many years to bring the population back to its former levels.

Get with a friend and split a beef being raised on a farm/ranch. It is cheaper that way. Problem - only one brisket if you only get half!!!!!! Maybe somebody needs to use genetics to create a beef with 4 to six briskets. It sure would look funny, but hopefully it would taste okay.

Welcome to America, 2014.

I go to the local butcher shop and buy a 1/4 of beef and 1/2 hog to get the best prices. I know fresh is always best, but I'm cheap.

Very smart man. My family has cattle and usually goes through a head a a year. I miss being able to just reach in the freezer. I'd much rather be cheap and have good meat, than go broke buying the great meat!

Back