Scores please.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
back to basics..reworking some presentations.

Some of these are old presentations.. some new.. (and giving mista a chance at revenge.)

Scores please. :cool:

IMG_1137.jpg

ea2927b7.jpg

The big parsley leaf was trimmed off after the picture.
bd54afd0.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

21490648.jpg

P8191808.jpg

Or from top down
8-skin isnt perfect but the daisy effect is nice. Looks tasty.
6-some pieces are big others are small. Pic blurry, bet it was good.
6-wheres the meat
7-i love a porkchop
6-my boxes have looked like that. Not great.
7-better then average. Burnt ends kind of just thrown in.

Disclaimer: I am not a judge but will become one this Friday. :)

Chicken - 6/7
Chicken - 7/8
Ribs - 6
Pork - 7
Pork - 8/9
Brisket - 5/6

I thought the use of parsley as a garnish on the ribs and brisket really detracted from the appearance of the entry.

Chicken - 8
Chicken - 9
Ribs - 7
Pork - 7
Pork - 8
Brisket - 7

I think that the first chicken would have done much better if the meat was more uniform. The second chicken makes me want to grab a piece.

The ribs are hidden

The pork looks good

The brisket is too busy - you have too much stuffed in there.

In an attempt to do this just like a contest, I looked at each of them for about 5 seconds, decided on a score and also put in the first comments that came to mind.

8 - Middle piece looks rough at the bottom, skin drawn up on the piece at 9 o'clock, sauce looks good, just a couple of burned spots, garnish compliments. If they all looked like the top two and the one at 3 o'clock, I might be tempted to give it a 9.

7/8 - I'm sure it looked better in person. The glaze is off on a few pieces (one at top left compared to one at bottom right). Really like the full box. Thighs on the right bigger than ones on left. Few pieces of parsley sticking out.

6 - many burned spots, makes cuts look ragged, piece of loin across the top wasn't trimmed before cook and makes pieces uneven, ribs buried in garnish, garnish very distracting.

7 - every corner of box filled except lower left looks empty, different thicknesses, sauce marks on pieces

8 - makes me want to dig into it. Nice bark. Meat looks moist. Garnish compliments. If the meat chunks were cleaned up more (fat, dark specks), it would have gotten a 9 from me. What did taste and tenderness score on this one?

6 - like the color of the bark. Different thicknesses, pieces need to be cleaned up more (dark specks), burnt ends not placed very well. Garnish is all over the place and very distracting.

Chicken - 7
Chicken - 8
Ribs - 6
Pork - 8
Pork - 6
Brisket - 8

I have been going thru old picture boxes and looking at the evolution of my turn in boxes. Some of the stuff from my first boxes make u think.. WTF was I thinking. After this, i will start a thread of our WORST ever boxes. I got a bunch of those. :)

The 2 chickens were our AR chicken boxes this year. The first one got 888999. Dont know how the second one did. But the pieces were very nearly identical on the first one. Picture angle seems to be a bit misleading.

Ribs, I thought they were too hidden when I saw the picture. But that was our first contest in 2004, and it took first place.

The pork was AR pork boxes. Chunks got 778889. Sliced.. dont know yet.

Brisket was last year at ribfest. We got DQ'ed for being late. I liked the presentation. I dont sauce my brisket I just use the Aujus, thats what the specs are from. from you guys score, seems the DQ may have been better. :)

Chx 1 - 8
Chx 2 - 7 First arrangement and sauce were more appealing to me.
Ribs - 6 cuts look uneven and black spots took away from appearance
Pork 1 - 9 I love the look of the slices, the arrangement and they are sauced evenly.
Pork 2 - 8 I like all of the extra bark. You get a 4 for table appearnce though...
Brisket - 6 Burnt ends don't help. Garnish is all over the place. Slices spaced unevenly.

You better let Kim do the boxes at the Jack.......

Guess what.....they have done just that. Hope I can do the job well!!! Andy keeps telling me that we just needed 1/2 point more in presentation to win the Royal.:evil: That's when I tell him to shove it. lol :lol:

Guess what.....they have done just that. Hope I can do the job well!!! Andy keeps telling me that we just needed 1/2 point more in presentation to win the Royal.:evil: That's when I tell him to shove it. lol :lol:

And Kim can even say that in sign language - what talent! :biggrin:

How do you do your chicken skins, Phil?

T builds our boxes....and before we close the lid, I take a look through the viewfinder of the camera, looking for symmetry and placement. Once everything looks right, then we snap the picture and close the lid.

You'll do fine, and if Andy had scored a point higher on taste or tenderness in one of the 4 catagories, he wouldn't have had the chance to try to yank your chain about a 1/2 point in presentation! :mrgreen:

I don't know if the rest of you are looking at the same two pork boxes I am. I like the look of the second box much more than the first. I agree that if the chunks were cleaned up a bit it would easily be a 9. ( i would probably give it a 9 even if it weren't cleaned up) After seeing it i am hungry!

Edit- After re-reading this i realize it may have come out the wrong way. I am not saying the first box looks bad, or that anyone who likes it is wrong. It is just that the chunks looks far and away better to me. At least down here in GA, I have never heard of anyone scoring well with sliced either, not saying it doesn't happen, just that i have not heard of it. The other boxes look good too, it is just that second pork box looks GREAT!

Last edited:
To all of you who have praised both pork box layouts ... Thank you :biggrin:

I think the slices look good but I am not a fan of sliced pork at all. Personally, I love the second box but I am biased. I think nice meaty chunks of money muscle represent the best things about pork shoulder and provide great texture. That pork gets stategically placed.. It's not just piled in.. It's like playing Tetris.

For the chicken, I think the othes on the team nailed both of them. I can't decide which I like better. I also like to see the chicken turned on a slight angle too as another option.

Phil - I think the layout is OK at best but the ribs themselves look a bit odd and it's throwing me off a bit. Seems a bit too busy. I realize it's an old box though.

Brisket - I like the fan idea better than what we were doing only because I think it's important to allow the judge to see the face of the slice, but it would need some work to tighten up the weak spots.

Coming in late on this one (and trying to ignore the scores from the actual event and others comments).

Chicken 1 (7-8) Sauce seems a bit heavy (worried about tasting it rather than meat), not quite as "crispy" (brown) looking as I'd like, veg is bordering on a bit too much.

Chicken 2 (7-8) Bit browner, still too much sauce - maybe pic is misleading?

Ribs (8) Veg very distracting, but the contrasting areas of light and dark look appealing to me - so many are too dark all over (I like the redness from the smoke), and the sauce is nicer (more of a glaze in this pic)

Pork sliced (7) Veg in LL corner seems wanting, still a bit too much sauce for me (I'll admit I generally don't like the cut ends sauced as I like to see the difference between the inside and outside revealed in the display).

Pork pulled (8) It, ah, looks a bit "thrown in" but recovers on seeing the inside/outside, and the sauce makes it look moist without being too heavy.

Brisket sliced (8) The burnt ends distract from the rest of the arrangement (and with that bark, they wouldn't have been needed), and the flecks of bark (from the slicing?) make it look a bit dirty. I really like that it looks so juicy without any sauce on the cuts.

Now reading the others - wow, we're all over the place! I feel like I'm back in judging school!

1st chicken 8 the box is angled away so can't tell by pic, I'm not saying any thing about 2nd bad pic, but I like the lay out better. Ribs way to much green stuff 7. Both pork box's 8/9, brisket 7 uneven cuts. Either way I'd take the left overs home.

9 chix
9 chix
7 rib
8 pork
9 pork
7 brisk

Last edited:
I seem to be a day behind...

Would never be able to do this at a contest but had a chance to look at them again for some comments.

9...Just enough peices and just enough sauce to make the box pop!
7...Funny on this one, just the opposite of above, to much bird, box is to stuffed looking.
9...Those ribs look like something a Sith Lord would create! This is one of the best rib boxes I have ever seen!
8...We dont see to much presented like this in CA. I have judged just over 10 contest, and I have never seen it. Look like big ole ham steaks to me!
9...Another Beautiful box! Love the big chunks, to me it says I cooked this meat perfect and you will taste it in my chunks!
7...Kind of like the 2nd chicken, to much meat in the box for me...

Last edited:
i like this.. its interesting to see the different perspectives..and it actually shows how judges can span from 5-6 to 8-9 on the same entry.

Like i said, some are old rookie boxes that I liked and think i can improve on.. the staggered ribs always looked good but only work with babybacks. I do both the pink meat chunk boxes and the sliced, depending on what i have to work with. Historically, with my scores, the sliced has taken higher placings than the chunks. But that doesnt say alot, I've only sliced 3-4 times and of those times, i have a 1st and 3rd. Most other times, i do the chunks. I stopped doing pulled 3 years ago.

The chicken pics are very lightly glazed. The pics look saucier than they really are, but theres other stuff on that skin that gives it the layered sheen.

the brisket is a fan shape. tight at the top, and loose at the bottom.

so far, lighter glazes and strained aujus are lessons.. as is clean cuts, good slicing.

keep it coming. I have more pictures on deck.

Back