The BBQ gods are good to me! I need your help.

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Yesterday was my 31st birthday and my wife sought fit to give me one of the greatest gifts one can get in BBQ...

She and I are flying to Austin, TX for a 5 days FOODcation featuring nothing but the finest BBQ I can get my lips on!

I have decided that the following locations are a MUST but I could use your guidance on where else I should visit.

In particular order
Franklin BBQ (this is an absolute must)
JMueller BBQ (I am not sure if he is still around)
Smitty's BBQ
Kreuz Market
Blacks

Maybe:
Salt lick BBQ
Snow's BBQ

I can feel my heart clogging with beefy goodness already! :clap2:

So what say you?! Where else should I go? I really have a solid 3 days to get all the Texas BBQ I can into my stomach. Chances are, I will not return.

I have never been, but, the town of Elgin, TX holds special fascination for me, as I really want to try Texas sausage, and Meyer's and Southside especially hold an interest. I have yet to meet anyone in person, who recommends the Salt Lick

You lucky FARKER!:p

You got a good woman. Better hang on to that one!:thumb:

Dam son you better hang on to that woman SHE"S A KEEPER!! Cross off the Salt Lick ACK!! :thumb:Hit Cooper's in Llano or Ronnies in Jhonson city

I agree with Cooper's in Llano or Louie Muller's in Taylor, and I like The Salt Lick, too.

I've been to Cooper's and The Salt Lick, and Louie Muller's is next on my BBQ bucket list.

CD

Do not bother with Salt Lick. After you pay $20 (cash only) a head and realize it isn't even real TX BBQ (cooked over open flame with some idiotic Asian tasting glaze on everything), you will kick yourself. Do not skip Snow's but remember they only are open one day a week. Go for the early morning open, and get some breakfast Q. As long as you are in Lockhart, hit Chisholm. They don't get the run of the big three, but their prices are much better and the Q is just as good IMO. Get to Louie Mueller for the beef rib! Here is my list. It goes up, over and down by a bit so pin a map and see how far out you want to go. Heck, add a couple of hours each direction and come up and see us in DFW and I'll add a few more places to the list. :-D

Austin
Franklin
JMueller Meat Co. (new restaurant)
La Barbecue (this is the old John Mueller place - his sister owns it)

Belton
Miller's

Lexington
Snow's

Llano
Cooper's

Lockhart
Black's
Chisholm Trail
Kreuz Market
Smitty’s

Luling
City Market

Taylor
Louie Mueller

Last edited:
I've been to austin twice.
Been to salt lick twice, i didn't think it was bad BBQ but it is cooked over an open pit but there is usually no wait on the weekdays. Both times I got the all you can eat platter that includes brisket, sausage, and ribs.

Stiles Switch BBQ and brew, that was pretty decent as well. I got the pulled pork, ribs and sausage meal. Wanted to try a beef rib but was too full. after the feast.

Lamberts, It was some good q as well, place was very busy and crowded so it wasn't the most relaxing meal, but the food was good and I'd go back.

Franklin's is great, but make sure you get there early and plan to wait.

The only other problem you might have is that there is soo much good food in austin, other than BBQ that you just want to eat all the time.

Thanks everyone!

@Grimm5577 I am fine wanting to eat all the time! That is literally the only purpose of this trip!

Back