UDS - HELP/Advice needed 4 Punching through metal

S

Smiter Q

EDIT: I have an update at post 19 for those that read earlier and just want to move to that one for my update

Hi all,

Well the build for my first UDS is on... well... sort of.:tsk:

I am using NORCO's tutorial as a guide. In it he has
the step of using a center punch to make the holes in the metal,
then drills out bigger pilot holes. I have not worked with metal
before, so maybe I am doing something(s) wrong.

I measured on the drum where I want my holes, and am trying to
bang through the drum with the center punch. All I seem to be doing
is denting the drum and dulling my punch.:mad2::mad2:

My question for this area of the build is that is the punch used to go through
the metal?? and.. if so how to do it without mangling the barrel. I am using
a 3lb sledge and giving it pretty hefty whacks.. which is denting the barrel.:doh::doh::doh:

OR.. do I use the punch just to mark it?

An answer with a little detail, on how to do it would be most helpful!
Trying to get this done before the light fades.

Do I need a different drill bit then what I have perhaps??
If so, a specific recommendation would be of help to.

Thank You

Below are NORCO's pics, and my pics for reference.

MY PICS.. showing barrel flipped and the bottom
1)showing the punch, sledge and drum
2)showing the dent on the barrel and no hole
centerpunch3.jpg

centerpunch4.jpg

NORCO's pics.. that I am trying to imitate!
Seems he has made a hole in the barrel with the punch at this point.....
centerpunch1.jpg

Drilling pilot holes....
centerpunch2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am seeing correctly, you have a spring loaded punch which you don't hit with a hammer. Just press it down until it clicks. The punch just marks the hole with a small indentation. Then drill a small "pilot" hole, then use a step drill to size it up. You can get a step drill at HF or an expensive one at Lowes. Or use a hole saw.

Go to an electrical supply house and get a step drill bit for drilling conduit holes in electrical panels. Chuck that thing in your cordless drill and you wont fear any more holes!

They look like this:
step-drill-bit-300x300.jpg

Thanks all. I have also tried drilling a pilot hole directly in the indentation. No go. Held the drill for a minute straight... pressing fairly hard.

May go to harbor freight to get the uni-bit, as they are on sale this week.
But still, how to make the original pilot hole?

Thank You.

Your drill bit is obviously very dull, shouldn't be that difficult....Sounds like you are overdue for a new set of bits, of perhaps just but one new bit the size you need.

Your drill bit is obviously very dull, shouldn't be that difficult....Sounds like you are overdue for a new set of bits, of perhaps just but one new bit the size you need.
Ditto that.

Thanks again! Will give you all an update when progress is made.
Silly question maybe, but do I need a "metal" specific bit?

You can get carbide tipped bits, what size hole do you need to have in the end?

You can get carbide tipped bits, what size hole do you need to have in the end?

I have an icehardened hole saw bit to make the 1" holes needed,
but need a pilot hole big enough to put the mandril bit through.

Maybe I am missing something Smiter, but could it be that you just have the wrong drill bit? A metal cutting bit should zip through that drum wall faster that..... well, you know.
Seriously, check and see if you may be using a wood bit, or one that has been worn out.

Metal cutting twist drill
Tell 'em what you're drilling and they should hook you up. Just don't get a wood or masonry bit

Maybe I am missing something Smiter, but could it be that you just have the wrong drill bit? A metal cutting bit should zip through that drum wall faster that..... well, you know.
Seriously, check and see if you may be using a wood bit, or one that has been worn out.

Going to see what other bits I may have. :confused:

I would not invest in a step bit if I were you (unless it is a really good price, I think mine were like $30 ea), not unless you see a need for it in the future. Just buy a couple carbide bits that will work for what you need now....I may have an extra smaller step bit at home if you need it, let me know.

GH and BT and all.. thanks for your ideas and comments.

Ok.. here is the update.
1)I managed to get through a pilot hole with a different bit.
2)What I thought I had for the icehardened hole saw bit from another project was wrong size. So I used my harborfreight one.

It did the job, but "Holey Moley"(word pun intended) it was a difficult drilling process. I still have to do three more of these... plus the 8 holes on the lid? Whew! I am going to have to get a new bit and hole bit for sure. As the drums lid was switched out by the original owner for one that is twice as thick as the drum!:cry:

Harborfrieght has two step bits on sale for like $12 total. Since drilling a few UDS's will be the extent of my need, these may do the trick?
Think I am going to pick up a carbide tip for the pilot holes too.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

@woodbutcher lol.. no, but good question.. as I actually checked to see if that was the issue, and have done that before... but not this time. lol

Pic of my "sort of" success....
udsnipplehole-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back