Church Picnic

• Thread starter Ron "rib kid" Baker
  • Start date
R

Ron "rib kid" Baker

I volunteered to handle "kitchen duties" at my church picnic in Sept. Our first meeting is tonight. I am going to suggest grilling. What is a good menu and how do I know how much to order. I can cook and BBQ better then average, just haven't done it for this large of an event.

I volunteered to handle "kitchen duties" at my church picnic in Sept. Our first meeting is tonight. I am going to suggest grilling. What is a good menu and how do I know how much to order. I can cook and BBQ better then average, just haven't done it for this large of an event.

Then why suggest grilling?

I'll say it again, the easiest and cheapest bang for your buck is pulled pork.

Give us a head count and we'll walk ya thru it.

I do several BBQs each year at my church. I offer ribs, chicken, pork and brisket. By far most folks want pulled pork. Second is brisket then ribs and chicken. That's a good thing as it's super easy to fix pork. We usually serve ~100 people. We leave it as a freewill offering and usually raise around $1000.

I've been doing my church cookin' for a couple years for between 150-200 people. I'm trying hard to gt them to go for the pulled pork, but they keep asking for smoked pork loins. They're easier to cook, but I know they'd love the pulled pork. I did sway them into trying beef clod a few weeks ago. Turned out great and everybody loved it. I've had good success throwing a few turkeys in with each cook for the varity.
If your church is like mine than there might be a commitee to help with the orginization. You're never going to please them all, but take a poll of those on the commitee and see what they want. Give us a head count and like Bubba said, we'll walk you through it.

Could always...

You could always do a whole pig... or just the good old fashion burgers, dogs, and sausage.. Good Luck!:-D

The smoked loins risk being dry in that they are so lean, but they sure are a fast cook... Pulled Pork is pretty good if they will go for it, in that they are almost idiot proof. Therefore the compelling reasoning is there. Good luck on convincing them.

Last edited:
Then why suggest grilling?

I'll say it again, the easiest and cheapest bang for your buck is pulled pork.

Give us a head count and we'll walk ya thru it.

I think that is the way we are going. I will get count of last year and go from there. We are going to be offering a variety of things like pizza, walking tacos, hot dogs and brats. But I want the wow factor also and pulled pork sounds good to me. Sides I suggested were a baked potato and sweet potato bar, ears of corn, beans, and corn bread. AM I way off base with this type of menu?

If kids involed pizza,dogs and taco sound great. I would add a few burgers to the mix.

I think that is the way we are going. I will get count of last year and go from there. We are going to be offering a variety of things like pizza, walking tacos, hot dogs and brats. But I want the wow factor also and pulled pork sounds good to me. Sides I suggested were a baked potato and sweet potato bar, ears of corn, beans, and corn bread. AM I way off base with this type of menu?

If your getting 20 bucks a head, no, but may be a little much for a church function.
With the above menu, why even bother cooking then?
It's church, keep it simple. KISS :cool:

If your getting 20 bucks a head, no, but may be a little much for a church function.
With the above menu, why even bother cooking then?
It's church, keep it simple. KISS :cool:

Ditto!!!

Always remember KISS, if you can't, stay the hell out of the catering business.

I have been providing pulled pork with some help from competition teams for the last six years for our church. My answer pulled pork pulled pork pulled pork. We have served with Blues Hog sauce, plain, or some others on the side. We go thru 20 butts. Do the KISS Method.... Good luck! Get ready for other requests to cook...

Menu sounds like your going to be a hit but running around like a madman......been there.....I agree with the KISS commenters......but it sounds great!

Back