• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Small Cater Job Question

pigpen269

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Someone at work asked if i would supply the meat for a wedding rehersal dinner. Around 25 people or so. I suggested a pan of Brisket and a pan of Pulled pork. I told her 150 dollar. I will have about 40 to 50 dollars in meat +rub+wood and charcoal+2 foil pans. I will also be taking her the meat on the day of the event. It's only a couple miles from the house. Does this sound about right? What would you do?

It's higher than I would go in my area but honestly I don't think you're to far out of line.
At our restaurant I charge $9.00/# for pulled meats (pork or chicken) and $10.95/# for sliced Beef Brisket. This is what we charge for Bulk meat in pans where the customer picks it up.
If you figure 1/3 of a pound person youre only talking about 8.33#'s (this is what I would suggest for sandwiches. However, if they want more of a platter portion I would figure 1/2#/person or 12.5#'s of meat.
Hope that helps a little.
Tim

Brisket and pulled pork for 25, you'll need about 17 lbs pork and 14 lbs of brisket to provide 8 1/3 lbs of each cooked.

Current prices around here are $1.78 and $1.64 and the meat totals are $31.89 and $24.49 so you $50.00 estimate is still a little low but not far off.

If I was doing this as a gig I'd be looking for $125.42 and $98.54 to pay 300% profit so the total cost to the client would be $233.96, you'll be making about 175% instead.

You can easily get $10 a person with no sides. Its hard when you have smaller jobs because you have to have a minimum worth. It will be hard to go back on your price now but for the future, it's not worth doing unless you are making a nice profit. Just think how many hours you have to think about the food cooking? Thats labor time whether it be physical or mental!!

catering

You can easily get $10 a person with no sides. Its hard when you have smaller jobs because you have to have a minimum worth. It will be hard to go back on your price now but for the future, it's not worth doing unless you are making a nice profit. just think how many hours you have to think about the food cooking? Thats labor time whether it be physical or mental!!

wsdverver

Thanks all. I think i'm right on track doing this for someone I know. If they were to buy it from a local restaurant it would be around 12LB. I'm doing it for around 7.50LB. If this ever comes up again I think I would get a little closer to the 12LB mark. They would still be saving because they wouldn't be paying sales tax. If I did it for 10LB I could still make some killer side money. Plus I get to practice for free.

Sounds about right on to me. For small things like that, I charge by the pound for cooked meat. Usually $10.

Back