COSTLY lesson learned and box pics

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well guys, I learned a VERY COSTLY lesson this weekend.

Make ABSOLUTELY farking sure that your ribs/brisket slices are COMPLETELY seperated!!!:roll::mad::oops:

I had a rib that wasn't COMPETELY seperated and when the judge picked it up
another one came with it. The rep (Kathy Brasier (sp?) came and told me about it. She said that
when she (the judge)picked it up again off her plate that it came apart.:roll:
But, since it was already on her plate, one judge did not get a sample.:oops:

So, I got 1's across the board for appearance and all 1's from the judge who didn't get a sample!!:oops:

Talk about COSTLY!!! DAL ribs!!:roll::oops:

On the flip side I was really happy with the chicken we did. I thought it turned out really nice.
Nice and juicy with a really good flavor.

I did the "putting green" which turned out nice but my brisket slices were a bit
too long and you couldn't see any parsely in a couple of spots along the edges.

Anyways, here are the scores and the pics.
Let me have it guys.
It can't be any worse than seeing the rep standing in front of
my table telling me about the ribs.:roll:

12th placeChicken- 878 / 878 / 889 / 988 / 778 / 878
DAL Ribs-:oops: 165 / 176 / 176 / 166 / 155 / 111
36th place Pork- 766 / 666 / 667 / 766 / 867 / 688
30th place Brisket- 777 / 888 / 877 / 866 / 866 / 767

37th out of 39 overall:oops:
Looks like my chicken saved me from DAL overall!!:oops:

All in all it was a great time and great to see and meet so many Brethren.
I think I heard that 16 out of the 39 teams were Brethren teams!!

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 345
hey! are you sick of reggae yet? :biggrin:

good seein you this weekend. i don't think they should have told you about the ribs until AFTER the next two turn-ins. that just wasn't right

hey! are you sick of reggae yet? :biggrin:

good seein you this weekend. i don't think they should have told you about the ribs until AFTER the next two turn-ins. that just wasn't right

Nice seeing you again!

Yeah, hearing about the ribs kinda "took the wind out of my sails" for the pork and brisket.:oops::roll:

I still have that farking "Red Red Wine" going through my head!!:lol:

Thanks FARKER!!:twisted:

BBQ Betty guarding her "nest of eggs".

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 332
i don't think they should have told you about the ribs until AFTER the next two turn-ins. that just wasn't right
There's a point -- it's hard to focus on your next two turn-ins after a blow like that, but then again, I bet you were extra careful getting those brisket slices COMPLETELY separate! EVERY team gets caught sooner or later on something that makes you go
popeindespair.gif

Here are my box thoughts:

Chicken -- The look too light, and the color is very uniform, rough them up a little with some near-scorch marks. The sizes are not uniform, and that's highlighted by their arrangement -- the front right thigh is very long, and the front left is very short!

Ribs -- The sauce is too heavy, at least from a glance at the photo.

Pork -- The pork looks sparse in the box, I'd like to see more in there.

I cant say that I care for the timing but I saw Cathy cry actual tears about this several hours after the fact. I mean actual tears, it hurt her guys.
That cut in the brisket makes me wonder a bit about marking. Looks like a Z to me! :)
Sorry about that mistake Bro. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant say that I care for the timing but I saw Cathy cry actual tears about this several hours after the fact. I mean actual tears, it hurt her guys.
That cut in the brisket makes me wonder a bit about marking. Looks like a Z to me! :)

I was gonna say the same thing about the brisket. I'd be careful with that.

I don't think the light chicken is a prob, but I do think they need more sauce.

Smooth out the sauce on the ribs some. I'm assuming from the pic that the top 2 ribs are the ones that were still connected. I place each rib in the box one at a time.

Add more pork to the box.

Well guys, I learned a VERY COSTLY lesson this weekend.

Make ABSOLUTELY farking sure that your ribs/brisket slices are COMPLETELY seperated!!!:roll::mad::oops:

I had a rib that wasn't COMPETELY seperated and when the judge picked it up
another one came with it. The rep (Kathy Brasier (sp?) came and told me about it. She said that
when she (the judge)picked it up again off her plate that it came apart.:roll:
But, since it was already on her plate, one judge did not get a sample.:oops:

So, I got 1's across the board for appearance and all 1's from the judge who didn't get a sample!!:oops:

Talk about COSTLY!!! DAL ribs!!:roll::oops:

I judged at a contest where one person had ribs that weren't cut completely and the last judge wouldn't have gotten a rib and the rep said that since it looked like there were 6 samples we weren't suppose to give it 1's for appearance. I'm not even sure if the person that didn't get a rib gave them a 1 for appearance.

Nice seeing you again!

Yeah, hearing about the ribs kinda "took the wind out of my sails" for the pork and brisket.:oops::roll:

I still have that farking "Red Red Wine" going through my head!!:lol:

Thanks FARKER!!:twisted:

BBQ Betty guarding her "nest of eggs".

ya know... betty didn't do a dang thing all weekend! :icon_pissed
no dish washin, no cutting, no box building, no nuthin!

i had setup, tear down and box running help, but i did all the rest

ohiovetcomp2008-016.jpg

ya know... betty didn't do a dang thing all weekend! :icon_pissed
no dish washin, no cutting, no box building, no nuthin!

Rick,

Maybe you have not noticed. Betty is just a pretty face. She has no arms. When we have to high of expectations we are sure to be disappointed.

You know, I never even thought about that. You're right though.
I didn't even see that till you called my attention to it.:roll:
It came out of the cryovac like that.
There was a big knife cut running down the length of the meat side, about 8 or 9 inches.
It looked like it was only about 1/8 inch deep so I didn't pay it any attention.
I will DEFINATELY trim the flap of the cut if I ever see that again!!

You know, that would be a really slick way to personalize the meat for a catering gig!:lol:

I'm definately NOT bashing Cathy for telling us. Not at all.
It's just something that she had to do as a Rep. Part of the job.
I have no reason to question her, none at all.
I figure the timing part is just the way they have to do it.
They are probably instructed to IMMEDIATELY notify the team.
How it hit me and how I dealt with it has no reflection on Cathy, just me.

Honestly, I hope Cathy reads this so she doesn't think I have any hard feelings about it, because I don't.

I was gonna say the same thing about the brisket. I'd be careful with that.

I don't think the light chicken is a prob, but I do think they need more sauce.

Smooth out the sauce on the ribs some. I'm assuming from the pic that the top 2 ribs are the ones that were still connected. I place each rib in the box one at a time.

Add more pork to the box.

I'm assuming those 2 ribs as well Mike. Not sure since I didn't see it.

There's a point -- it's hard to focus on your next two turn-ins after a blow like that, but then again, I bet you were extra careful getting those brisket slices COMPLETELY separate! EVERY team gets caught sooner or later on something that makes you go
popeindespair.gif

Here are my box thoughts:

Chicken -- The look too light, and the color is very uniform, rough them up a little with some near-scorch marks. The sizes are not uniform, and that's highlighted by their arrangement -- the front right thigh is very long, and the front left is very short!

Ribs -- The sauce is too heavy, at least from a glance at the photo.

Pork -- The pork looks sparse in the box, I'd like to see more in there.

Being completely honest here......my mind was scrambled eggs after she told me about
the ribs and I had no idea what I was going to do for the pork box.......blank........that was what I came up with.

Last edited:

i know that must have been tough to deliver the news. i wouldn't have wanted to know till after the turn-ins still.

that's one good thing about using ribs from different slabs, they are sure to be separated

I have seen the reps walking to or leaving a cook sight during turn ins and my heart always goes out to that competitor... Glad you got through it brother!!

hey man sorry about the ribs but I agree to much sauce at least from pic ckn looked good but again a little light (grill marks ) we keep a weber kettle just for that , Bris was pretty also

'Z', man I'm sorry to hear about the ribs... I guess I can see both sides, I'm not sure I would want to know until after my last turn-in, but I can also see Cathy's side of warning you that it happened so it wouldn't again.

In my CBJ class we were told that 'often competitors are going to put in more than 6 pieces so that the table judge can get one. This also covers the entry if two pieces stick together." Words I've taken to heart as I always make sure that there are always eight pieces.

As for the other boxes, I agree that the chicken is a little light, and the sizing is a little off. There is a bit more sauce on the ribs than I would like to see, It almost looks like you are hiding something. I would like to have seen more pork with less sauce or a glaze on it (I know that this box is a blank). I think your brisket looks great but like others have said, watch the flaps.

Again, I'm sorry this happened.

'Z', man I'm sorry to hear about the ribs... I guess I can see both sides, I'm not sure I would want to know until after my last turn-in, but I can also see Cathy's side of warning you that it happened so it wouldn't again.

In my CBJ class we were told that 'often competitors are going to put in more than 6 pieces so that the table judge can get one. This also covers the entry if two pieces stick together." Words I've taken to heart as I always make sure that there are always eight pieces.

As for the other boxes, I agree that the chicken is a little light, and the sizing is a little off. There is a bit more sauce on the ribs than I would like to see, It almost looks like you are hiding something. I would like to have seen more pork with less sauce or a glaze on it (I know that this box is a blank). I think your brisket looks great but like others have said, watch the flaps.

Again, I'm sorry this happened.

Thanks Jeff.
Just to be clear, Cathy did nothing wrong.
I just didn't handle it well.

You can bet your sweet arse that it will NEVER happen again!!
Putting 8 ribs in the box is a great piece of insurance. Thanks!

I wasn't hiding anything, I just didn't thin the sauce down enough.
I poured it on so there were no brush marks.
This will be revised as well.

Live and Learn...........

I am so glad you shared this disappointment with us Steve.
I finally have the chance to do a comp, and this is one mistake I want to avoid. Others have learned from your mishap, so that's good.
I am rethinking how I plan to present my ribs as I type this. I was planning on doing six ribs that were "Hollywood" (?) cut, but may go to eight that are "center" cut.
I sure hope the rep reads this too. Takes a big man to own the situation.

What did the Rep do wrong? She did her job. They are to go and tell the team that their entry was DQ immediately after judging... They do not wait until the end of the contest to break the bad news to the teams... It's immediate. That way if there is something that needs to be corrected, it can be done for the next turn-in.

FWIW Phillip and Kathy might be 2 of the best reps that KCBS has. There is never a grey area when they are repping. I for one appreciate that in reps. I also know that I would go and cook a contest that they are repping, just because I know it will be a fair contest.

Scottie

ps my suggestion would be to get a sharper knife. As the cuts on the ribs almost looked like your kniofe was not sharp enough... They were not clean.

Back