My best rib rack is my turkey v-rack

darthtrader

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brethren, I thought I'd share what I learned from Michael Chu at Cookingforengineers.com. In his baby back rib tutorial, he used a V-rack that we'd normally use for our Thanksgiving turkey as his rib rack. I'd never thought to do this until seeing it on his website. I must say, it's the best rib rack I'v ever used! All other rib racks I've tried have been flimsy and cheap feeling. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/246/Barbecue-Pork-Ribs-Baby-Back-or-Spare

That is an excellent idea. No idea why I never thought of that.

Crap! I've had one of those for 10 years and never thought about using it as a rib rack!!!!

That does it, from now on, once a month, I walk into my kitchen upside-down!

Now see, that's a brilliant alternative use. I'd have never thought to turn the thing upside down.

If we had more room, that'd work great. Since we're using WSMs, we've found Raichlen's rib rack to be sturdy, supportive across the racks and an ideal fit.
51PN8jYHy4L._SL500_SL160_.jpg

That is the one i always use. Got it at my local BGE dealer. I was looking at it and noticed some big chips in the coating on a couple of the corners. I was buying some other things, and was just getting ready to hagle, when he said "you can have it" SCORE!!!

Paul

That does it, from now on, once a month, I walk into my kitchen upside-down![/quote]

Break out the video, this I want to see! At least you wont have any hair in your eyes...

:cool: uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı ƃuıuɹnʇ ɐǝpı ʇɐǝɹƃ ɐ s,ʇɐɥʇ

Several places sell them advertised as that. Big green egg has one. I have a link to a place that had them for @ $9 if I remember right.

Dual Purpose V-Rack
underline.gif

Our dual purpose V-Rack can be used upright to hold roasts and poultry and can be flipped over to serve as an efficient rib rack that can hold up to six vertically placed racks of ribs in much less space than if they were cooked horizontally. The V-Rack can be used in the XL, Large, and Medium EGG .The VRPS is designed for the Small.
Part #Description
V-Rack.gif
VRPV-RackVRPSSmall V-Rack

I never used my V rack as a rib rack, but I think Cooks Illustrated had an article on it based on the suggestion of a reader. It looks like a great idea.

I've found that there are a few things in life that are better upside down. :shock: :icon_shy

John

What a fantastic great idea that I wish I had thought of before I bought other rib racks.

Thanks for sharing this.

Back