Breakdown (Economy, Contests, Sponsorship)

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if necessary. I posted this on another forum as well.

Are you cutting back or not competing at all, due to the economy, gas, food, canceled contest in on your schedules ect. Are you doing anything different to lower cost this year, how so?

What are organizers main reasons for canceling? Loss of sponsors, not enough response from teams, cost to profit ratio low, just to much work, ect.

Hope these questions have not already been asked recently. Could get a better response in a poll formate maybe, rather then being asked hear by me.
Dave

Mod edit: edited title

I'm not cutting back. Actually plan to do more this year. But I am not bringing the motorhome anymore. That's partly because we want to sell it and partly because the truck is a lot more fuel efficient towing the trailer and it's a lot easier to drive. A couple of windy days left me real tired last year.

Let me start out by saying..."what a difference a year makes!" Last year, the members of our team, either collectively or as individuals, cooked 7 contests.
As it sits as of now, I only know of 3 contests we plan to cook this year. I'd love to do more, but I personally don't have the extra money this year. I still love contests, and love seeing my friends, so I may have to do more judging this year.

We're cutting back from 15 in 2007 to around seven contests in 2008. That COULD be due to finances if the job situation worsens but the original thought was that we've used nearly all of our vacation time the last two years for BBQ. Although our daughter loves going and loves competing in Kids Q events, there are other things that parents should be doing to make a seven year old girl's life enjoyable, including a possible Disneyland trip in the summer. I think I owe time outside of BBQ to my family this year.

I plan to make some changes just not sure which ones. My reasoning for competing is changing a bit. I love to compete and I love cooking, but I don't think I would be majorly dissappointed if I did a few less contests this year. I will still enjoy myself, see some Brethren on the road and give it a good effort. A lot also depends on if I'm footing the whole bill or plan to team up with some others. That would take some of the burden off. Maybe judge 1-2 instead of cook them. I've also got a trip to Disneyworld scheduled in August which isn't cheap but I know my daugher will have a blast and that's worth more to me than cooking a contest.

1) Cut down the # of contests : Did 6 last year. May just go to 3-5 now . KCBS TOY qualifying now goes out to 10 contests instead of 5. It was nice knowing I at least had a fighting chance with the best 5. I have no desire, time or cash to do 10+ contests a year and still maintain a family life on weekends during spring/summer. This one change would more than offset any differences in gas. I've typically set a 250 mile one way limit.

2) Cut down on meat qtys : Typically did 2 butts/briskets each, 6 racks of ribs and 24+ chicken pieces. I've considered going to 1 brisket, two butts (come in twin pack), 4 racks of ribs and 15-18 chicken pieces. I'll take my chances. Same for garnish.

3) Avoid miscellaneous categories - not worth the extra cash & effort IMO. Rather spend the time socializing wth other team, relaxing or focusing on the KCBS categories.

4) Consider dropping FAB products : While I've done well using them, I just don't think the extra cash is necessarily worth it.

While all of the above may sound nice, it's very easy for me to say in the dead of winter. There's a good chance that some of my thoughts will change as the season approaches and I get excited about the first contest. Right now it's 20 degrees outside and contest preparation is not at the forefront.. We'll see..

Good luck to all for any planning changes you plan to make.

Last edited:
If gas does go near $4 a gallon, I'm going to have to cut down. We're planning on hitting the Iowa circuit this summer and it's already costing me $90 round trip just to Des Moines without a loaded truck.

If gas does go near $4 a gallon, I'm going to have to cut down. We're planning on hitting the Iowa circuit this summer and it's already costing me $90 round trip just to Des Moines without a loaded truck.

Well gas is only one equation, by itself not a big factor. But all cost have grown disproportionately this year causing some sober rethinking on my part, at least for this year.
Dave

What Vinny said.
While all of the above may sound nice, it's very easy for me to say in the dead of winter. There's a good chance that some of my thoughts will change as the season approaches and I get excited about the first contest. Right now it's 20 degrees outside and contest preparation is not at the forefront.. We'll see..

I never payed any attention to points I just don't do enough to worry about that and I don't do well enough to worry about it. But I am glad I bought my Lg Sw last year, now all I got to do is pay it off.:wink::wink:
Dave

Though I think we'll cut back from 18 contests last year, we'll cook the same or more KCBS contests. I'm hoping for 12-14 contests this year. Really just cutting out the non-sanctioned contests.

Let me start out by saying..."what a difference a year makes!" Last year, the members of our team, either collectively or as individuals, cooked 7 contests.
As it sits as of now, I only know of 3 contests we plan to cook this year. I'd love to do more, but I personally don't have the extra money this year. I still love contests, and love seeing my friends, so I may have to do more judging this year.[/quote

I predict a very large CBJ pool this year. This could be the year I get real close to my MCBJ. So its the glass half full thing for me:icon_bigsmil
Dave

Jeff you should just take the whole year off! That Disneyland or Disneyworld trip will be the cost of 8 to 10 contests. but the memories will last a life time. Good luck in the near future.

We're cutting back from 15 in 2007 to around seven contests in 2008. That COULD be due to finances if the job situation worsens but the original thought was that we've used nearly all of our vacation time the last two years for BBQ. Although our daughter loves going and loves competing in Kids Q events, there are other things that parents should be doing to make a seven year old girl's life enjoyable, including a possible Disneyland trip in the summer. I think I owe time outside of BBQ to my family this year.

12 to 14 you might as well do them all. You got the MOJO going on, why slow down your roll. Tilt that baby and add a few more and come to Huron as you are well aware Win here and it is a straight shot to the JACK!!!!!

Though I think we'll cut back from 18 contests last year, we'll cook the same or more KCBS contests. I'm hoping for 12-14 contests this year. Really just cutting out the non-sanctioned contests.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 to 14 you might as well do them all. You got the MOJO going on, why slow down your roll. Tilt that baby and add a few more and come to Huron as you are well aware Win here and it is a straight shot to the JACK!!!!!

Didn't realize that I was on a roll, but that explains the butter on my butt. :wink:

I'm not going to change really. I plan on still doing 8-9 contests and focus on the ones i really like and where my buds will be at. I just want to have a good time.:icon_clown

Scott, sorry to burst your bubble, but KCBS web site shows a contest September 6 in Vermillion, SD.

Scott, sorry to burst your bubble, but KCBS web site shows a contest September 6 in Vermillion, SD.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that this week end he was in such a good mood.

We plan on doing 5 of the ones we did last year that are in-state or near by. I wouldn't mind adding a couple more, but it would make for a fairly busy schedule from late July to early Sept. and that would be difficlut for the teammate. We'll see. Like Podge said, we do this for fun and want to have a good time. I think if you try and do too much, you lose some of the fun.

We hope to cook at least 6 this year, but I dont know where. Madison and Owensboro for sure. The search continues.

I will probably do about the same, bought some new cookers so its kinda hard to turn back now. I am hoping that my sponsers stay in place this year. Meat at cost saves me a lot of money and if I dont have to pay a few entry fees I will probably do 4 or maybe even 5 this year.

Back