• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chicken & turkey skin

flani3

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This was kind of a pre-turkey cook for me since I've never done a whole bird on the kettle. I haven't had much luck w/ skin when I've done whole breasts either. It sure looks good and edible but it's always tough and doesn't break apart when you bite. I cooked this small bird w/ Famous Dave's chicken seasoning. It was on for an hour 45 @ 325. I smoked w/ apple wood for 45 minutes and took off a little over 160. The skin's my favorite part, I want the flavor and hate not enjoying it!
Input appreciated.

20131119_174257_zpsfcce6226.jpg

20131119_174238_zps63941657.jpg

I was mid breast removal during these photos. This had me thinking about cutting up my turkey before cooking, it just seems easier. There's no pressure on me like some of you, it's only going to be 2 of us.

Hmmm, the temp and time are right on. My bird tonight was almost exactly that but 350 and 90 minutes....and completely crisp skin and juicy.

It's hard to tell from the pic...was it dry or juicy? How about some more details such as....Was it indirect or direct? If indirect did you have the coals banked or separated with bricks? What did you use to measure grate level temp or was it just dome temp?

Take some Mayo put the rub in the mayo and paint a modest coat on the bird. cook just like you did. Bite through& flavorful everytime.

Hmmm, the temp and time are right on. My bird tonight was almost exactly that but 350 and 90 minutes....and completely crisp skin and juicy.

It's hard to tell from the pic...was it dry or juicy? How about some more details such as....Was it indirect or direct? If indirect did you have the coals banked or separated with bricks? What did you use to measure grate level temp or was it just dome temp?

By the time I finished cutting the plate was covered in juices. The meat was nice and moist. Cooked indirect with the coals banked and separated with bricks. I was measuring grate temp w/ a guru. I washed/dryed and seasoned the bird and then it was in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Take some Mayo put the rub in the mayo and paint a modest coat on the bird. cook just like you did. Bite through& flavorful everytime.

I did a mayo rub on a turkey breast one time with similar results. Maybe i'll try letting it dry out longer before cooking.

Back