??? Smoke times faster on UDS

CORNDAWG

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I find that the common time of 1 1/2 hrs per pound when smoking, have not been true when using my UDS. I see times closer to 45-50min per pound. My latest brisket from yesterday, was a 11 lbs packer. Started at 1:30pm and pulled when probe slid in butta at 9:45pm (temp 208). Is this common when using a UDS? What smoke times have others using UDS experienced?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 98
1 1/2 hours per pound is for 225F grate temp, unwrapped. I'm not sure what your grate temp was. Also, a UDS is so efficient that you don't have to keep opening it to add fuel. Each time you open a smoker you add time to the cook.

It comes down to energy.... You can be standing in 90 degrees in the shade and not get burnt but that same 90 degrees in the sun you will get burnt eventually. It's the same concept in the UDS, the direct heat radiated energy is cooking faster than if it was indirect heat.

I'm starting to prefer the mix of direct and indirect with a diffuser.

This is the same diffuser i use in my UDS and my new jimmy, the holes let some of the direct energy through but not all of it... partial shade When i use this diffuser i'm at just over an hour a pound doing butts. My last butt was a 8 lb in 9 hours and that was in my mini but it's comperable in the UDS

Other times in the UDS i use no diffuser, it just depends on what i'm cooking.

IDK where you are taking your pit temp but a UDS will be 50 deg hotter in the middle that at the tip of a 3" stem thermo mounted on the side of the pit. so if your thermo says 225 your cooking at 255-260 average temp

I was running at 225*, I also use a similar diffuser as above, and I use a 12" thermometer that runs 1/4 -1/2" below the grate. Food turns out great. I did lose one brisket, because it was way over cooked.

Back