• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Rust on the inside - during build process

Hello All. I have been working on my UDS for a month or so - whenever spare time allows. My drum is bare cold rolled steel on the inside - a good problem. This weekend I finished most of the painting. I now have some lettering to do.

I notice that there is now a fair amount of rust on the inside of the drum - spotty. When I am finished with the painting, I will bring the drum up to 200 deg to cure the high temp paint. Then, I plan to raise them temp, and then spray inside with oil to season it.

Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?

Attachments

• 130825-7 mid section blue - Small.jpg
    130825-7 mid section blue - Small.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 710
Concerned about a few galvanized parts in my UDS

Hello. I am only up to about page 100, so I apologize if this has been covered and re-covered too much.

I know (from reading this thread) that galvanized parts should not be used inside a UDS unless the galvanized coating is removed chemically or by super-heating.

I have chosen to just avoid using galvanized parts altogether since I don't have a weed-burner, a torch, or the required acid.

I used conduit nuts on the inlet nipples. The package said "Steel". Am I right to assume (now), that they are galvanized steel?

Should I be concerned about the 3 conduit nuts that are way down inside my UDS?

Thanks for any help.

I don't believe so. It doesn't get hot enough at the bottom air intakes (That's where I assume they are at.) to create a situation where galvanize will offgas. Even if it does, I don't see where the ppm will get anywhere near what would be required to make you sick. The nuts I used are the same as yours and I have countless cooks on it and no one has gotten sick.

"Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?"

I would. You can light sand wipe down the inside with denatured alcohol. The alcohol with evaporate away. Then season.

85 gallon UDS Finished!!!!

Just finished my ultimate UDS so I figured I would post on the ultimate UDS thread. Got most of my ideas here. Check out my build thread or photobucket slide show of build.

BBQ Brethern Thread- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169137

Photobucket- http://s119.photobucket.com/user/womble79j/slideshow/85%20gallon%20UDS

20130828_205842.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. I am only up to about page 100, so I apologize if this has been covered and re-covered too much.

I know (from reading this thread) that galvanized parts should not be used inside a UDS unless the galvanized coating is removed chemically or by super-heating.

I have chosen to just avoid using galvanized parts altogether since I don't have a weed-burner, a torch, or the required acid.

I used conduit nuts on the inlet nipples. The package said "Steel". Am I right to assume (now), that they are galvanized steel?

Thanks for any help.

No don't worry about the conduit nuts. I also have some galvanized washers and it's a non issue.

Hello All. I have been working on my UDS for a month or so - whenever spare time allows. My drum is bare cold rolled steel on the inside - a good problem. This weekend I finished most of the painting. I now have some lettering to do.

I notice that there is now a fair amount of rust on the inside of the drum - spotty. When I am finished with the painting, I will bring the drum up to 200 deg to cure the high temp paint. Then, I plan to raise them temp, and then spray inside with oil to season it.

Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?

Yes you should wire brush the inside to remove the rust before seasoning. Also wipe it down well before painting and seasoning, I like to use low odor mineral spirits.

Hey Guys,

I'm preparing for my drum burnout this weekend and had a question about using an old pallet:
Do you guys take out the nails and such, or just go ahead and burn it all and just clean up afterwards?
Also, what's the best way to get the fire going in the drum? I haven't done much camp fires, so I'm not really familiar with starting a fire outside of a chimney starter :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help,
CarlBQ

Thanks for any help.

I soaked my conduit nuts in vinegar for a couple day and it took all of the zinc off...like others said, I'm sure its a non-issue, but it's just one less thing to worry about.

Hey Guys,

I'm preparing for my drum burnout this weekend and had a question about using an old pallet:
Do you guys take out the nails and such, or just go ahead and burn it all and just clean up afterwards?
Also, what's the best way to get the fire going in the drum? I haven't done much camp fires, so I'm not really familiar with starting a fire outside of a chimney starter :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help,
CarlBQ

For my burn out, I just cut the pallets up a bit, threw them in and hit them with my weed burner to get them started. I didn't worry about the nails at all.

There are a million ways to start your fire. I imagine if you put a bunch of wadded up news paper in with your pallets then dump some coals from your chimney in there, I bet it would fire up pretty quickly. Assuming your wood is dry, the pallets will burn easily.

Also, make sure you've got your holes drilled in the bottom of your drum for your air inlets so that the fire can breathe. Otherwise, it will never get enough air to burn hot enough to do the job you need it to do.

Yep, I did some research early on to make sure I hadn't read it somewhere else both on this site and the internet. As the original post says, I was trying to build a drum smoker and it was turning out UGLY so I started the thread to get advice and titled it Ugly Drum Smoker. It was a play on words of the Big Drum Smoker that is sold commercially.

I had no idea the name would stick and this thread would be around years later. It took a 15 months to get to 1,000 posts and another 15 months to get to this point.

And here it is in 2013 and I'm trying to wade my way through the biggest thread ever. It's an epic journey!

UDS sandblasted

Hey guys I am unable to burn out my barrel, do to where I live, so I had it sandblasted.

The attached picture is the final product after it was sandblasted it looks the same inside and out.

Do I need to do any further conditioning or is it ready to start painting? (the outside with hi temperature paint)

It seems to be down to the bare metal just looks a little rough.

Attachments

• IMG_20130829_141831_419.jpg
    IMG_20130829_141831_419.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 600
A couple of UDS I built

I built these two for a friend and myself. Both were peanut butter drums. Both were sand blasted and powder coated. His is the blue mine the red. I fired it up the first time today and made some wings. They turned out real good.

Attachments

• 20130827_181817.jpg
    20130827_181817.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 598
  • 20130831_151406.jpg
    20130831_151406.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 20130831_175808.jpg
    20130831_175808.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 601
Back