• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Great thread ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am having dinner tonight with a CPA (wifes friend from USC who knows how to manage money) to see if starting my own biz pencils out. I'll be 50 next year and can retire early, although I'll be leaving a lot on the table if I do....which brings me to my question someone asked earlier. Do you have an exit strategy? If so, can you share it with us. I'm not sure I even know what it is, but I know I'd don't want to work foranother ten years...

Do you plan on being there 7/24? How far away do you live from there?

Do you plan on in installing video surveillance camaras? Seems like employees can really put a damper on your profits if things aren't monitored closely.

I'm sure you're busy. Good luck!

Lots of questions, and I'll address them. Spent all day at the place with the help of some family doing some demolition and maintaining the 1.5 or so acres that haven't been tended to all year. I'm beat!

which brings me to my question someone asked earlier. Do you have an exit strategy? If so, can you share it with us. I'm not sure I even know what it is, but I know I'd don't want to work foranother ten years...

Do you plan on being there 7/24? How far away do you live from there?

Do you plan on in installing video surveillance camaras? Seems like employees can really put a damper on your profits if things aren't monitored closely.

As far as exit strategy, this is as much of a real estate play as it is a business. It's a good location for this area, and the price I was able to get it for was below market value. And besides a somewhat small mortgage, I'm not borrowing any other money to get the venture off the ground.

So, my exit strategy has a few options. Even if the business doesn't go gangbusters, if it at least made money and afforded me a modest salary, that's fine since I have a working spouse. So it isn't quite a do or die financial scenario. The second option would be to sell the place. With how much equity I put in with the down payment and the improvements I plan on making, even if the business doesn't flourish, I figure I could sell even for roughly what I paid for it and get most of that equity back. But before selling, my other exit option would be to lease it. The previous owners had two people begging to lease the building while it was under contract and they almost backed out of our deal since the bank was taking so long and wanted to lease it out. So there's probably some demand there. And I'm already a landlord with a rental house and love real estate, so I'd have no problem doing a commercial rental in addition to that.

As far as being there, one nice thing is I'm only about 7 miles away. Living out here in BFE, that's nothing, so that will be a bonus. And initially, we're only going to be open Thurs-Sun from 11-8 (or until it's gone). I plan on moving to a 6 or 7 day operation, but starting out I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. At 4 days, I'd have no problem putting in the 60-70 hours myself. But being open longer would certainly require finding management that that can be trusted, let alone employees. You mentioned surveillance, and I don't anticipate it at the start since I'll be there, but if it expands, then that would certainly be a consideration.

what is the address? do you have a website?

No real website yet other than having the domain and email setup, but we are on facebook for starters. https://www.facebook.com/PrizedPigBBQ

Where are the walk ins? Not seeing them in the schematics. Did you decide to remove them?

I just omitted them from the floor plan since they are set in stone, unchangeable, and not part of anything that needs to be altered in upcoming construction.

Mind my asking what type of smoker you'll be using?

I've been going back and forth between a Southern Pride and Ole Hickory, but I think after talking to both places this week I'm sold on Ole Hickory. I was really turned off by the customer service at Southern Pride, even though I know they are top-notch units. It felt like they just wanted to get me off the phone. They even tried arguing with me about what my inspector said about the ventilation. Ole Hickory was more than willing to chat, learn more about the business, my needs, delivery schedule, and work with me on pricing. And even though I've heard some people say they use more fuel than a comparable SP, I'll be glad to pay for it as long as I know I can get somebody on the phone when I need to that actually cares.

So right now the plan is a model SSM, which they can have delivered by early July.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with the Ole Hickory SSM. Great company that is a big supporter of Operation BBQ Relief.

Drove by your place today on the way to Sam's Club in Mishawaka. I use to stop there for breakfast quite often about 20 years ago when work took me down that way. It is a good location and I'm sure you will pack em in if the food and service are good.

Do you have an target opening date set? I'm very excited, I only live 7 min away from there. REGULAR.

I remember when that place was called "WILLIES" years ago. Can't wait to try it under your control . I only live a few miles away. That is a good location, I never saw the parking lot full under any other owners except Willie. I think your about to change that! BEST OF LUCK! I'LL be watching.

Drove by your place today on the way to Sam's Club in Mishawaka. I use to stop there for breakfast quite often about 20 years ago when work took me down that way. It is a good location and I'm sure you will pack em in if the food and service are good.

I remember when that place was called "WILLIES" years ago. Can't wait to try it under your control . I only live a few miles away. That is a good location, I never saw the parking lot full under any other owners except Willie. I think your about to change that! BEST OF LUCK! I'LL be watching.

Neil, Rstevens, yes, apparently Willie's was big back in the day. Willie's was before my time moving to the area, but it's been amazing how everyone I talk to around here when I tell them what place I bought they immediately get excited and bring up Willie's.

What kind of place was it back then? From what I gather it was a great late night stop after a night of drinking, or a good breakfast in the morning. But I could be wrong.

Do you have an target opening date set? I'm very excited, I only live 7 min away from there. REGULAR.

Hey, nice to see another local. Small world when it comes to BBQ I guess. I'm hoping for a late July open, but I know how these things go and the delays there will probably be along the way, so realistically I'm thinking early August.

And just a quick update for anyone else following. It's been a long week trying to gut the place. Tore out a bunch of cabinets, shelving, hauled away unneeded kitchen equipment, removed all of the gutters on the outside of the building, patched up all the interior walls, etc. To say I'm sore would be an understatement.

But some good news, the health inspector got back to me this morning and he's awesome. I know the inspector before this guy started was a real tool and difficult to work with, but I think this guy is going to work out great. He isn't being a stickler and today said I can skip most of the lengthy plan review that's typically required before any real work can begin on the place since this place was already in good standing and that I'm not looking to change much. So, he went ahead and gave me the green light on any construction even before submitting the entire plan/drawings, let alone waiting to get them approved.

So, now I'm just waiting for the contractor to get back to me so that the real work can begin. Otherwise, on the docket next week is to get the exterior sign ordered and hopefully get the new stove/oven ordered (delivered?). And it might be a stretch, but also hope to have the large 3-door fridge sold and removed, and hopefully the buyer for the flat top still comes through and picks that up.

Slow and steady, but things are coming together.

I'm new to the forum (hi everyone!) but just wanted to say congrats. What an awesome journey you've embarked upon.

wow this is great. I love in Dearborn but have kids in Chicago so I go your way once in a while

when you are open I will make a point to stop by!!

I've been going back and forth between a Southern Pride and Ole Hickory, but I think after talking to both places this week I'm sold on Ole Hickory

My understanding is that in Texas, these are dirty words.

Are you counting on a less-savvy BBQ customer in Michigan, or... (and this is what I'm really interested in...) do you feel that gasser BBQ can match all-wood BBQ, if done properly? (Texans, IMO, can be excessively narrow-minded about their BBQ--saucing, etc--is that the case with gasser BBQ do you think, or is this a real short-cut with real consequences?)

Seriously Jealous!!!! Since I lost my job the wife has been bugging me to open a pizza joint, My folks even called last week and told me to take a job at a pizza place for a few months and figure out how they run things then go open my own :loco:.. No no no too big of a risk for me.

It sounds like you have this completely thought out. If were ever up that way
I'll be sure to drop by for lunch!

Oh, Fark facebook get a website with the menu on it.
When we are traveling and I'm looking for places to eat if they have just a facebook page I keep looking. I just remembered our favorite pizza place here does not have a website and I think that's a bad idea. At the very least keep a up to date menu and prices on Yelp,urbanspoon etc...

Best of luck!!!!

Back