Trying to smoke a whole chicken (wood chips question)

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am 30 minutes into smoking a whole chicken.

I put out 3 to 4 good handfuls of applewood dry wood chips. When I first set them around the out part of the lumps lots of smoke came out. Now, 30 minutes I see no smoke coming out of my Kamado Joe.

Did I do something wrong?

chips are used up quickly. if you did not soak them and put them in a pouch then even faster. try chunks next time. just add more chips if needed.

chips are used up quickly. if you did not soak them and put them in a pouch then even faster. try chunks next time. just add more chips if needed.

Thanks for the reply, I bought the chips a while back for someone else but never gave them to them so I am trying to use them up.

I think it's going to be too hard to add chips on the KJ with the heat deflector on as well as a whole chicken.

Layering chips and chunks into the stack of charcoal works good if you are using the minion method.

Id leave you. You prolly gave it a tonne of smoke already

Don't worry about it. You're doing chicken, birds take on a bunch of smoke real fast. You should be good to go.

How'd it turn out?

Fantastic!

I have a cheap thermometer that had me a little worried. On the grill it read 164 and after sitting 5 minutes it read 148. Anyways, I cut into the meat and it looked fine. Tasted great!

Next time with these chips I will use a little more.

Glad it worked out for you tonight! With wood chips I suggest you make a foil pouch for the chips, seal it up tight and poke some holes in the top. Lay the pouch on top of the hot charcoals and you'll get the smoke without the chips burning up so fast.

Good to hear your chicken was a success. They really don't need much wood. I have over smoked many. I made one for a friend over the holidays. I was able to separate the skin from chicken without tearing it and seasoned the meat with cajun seasoning and then let the skin back down to seal in the flavor. Had good reports.

Back