KCBS and Restaraunt Depot no more

Membership is now showing as free on the RD site---

I got my RD membership by using an old construction business that I got an EIN and registered with state of IN. The business is in my name and hasn't even been active for years, but it still got me in at RD.

In IN I think it only cost me about $40 to register the business name and I believe the EIN was free or next to it.

The RD membership itself was free. As with any other perishable grocery items, I don't pay taxes for meat, produce, in general.....food. I only pay taxes on equipment or supplies.

I have used my KCBS card at many different RD locations this year in GA,NC,MO,OH,PA,MI and NY. I have never had a problem. I just showed them the card and it was never an issue.

I got a RD card in the early days of the KCBS relationship and that card was still valid yesterday.

Membership is now showing as free on the RD site---

You're right, RD's site says the membership is free. It has been as far as I remember. It's the fine print that says you have to bring in a copy of your business lic. or tax exempt card to get the membership. They don't care what the business is, as long as you have the lic.

Went to RD today and used my RD card with KCBS on it. No problems at all. They took my money just like usual.

That was me. I used my RD card with KCBS on it. Scanned my card..."welcome"..No mention of anything. Hope it lasts. :cool:

I got a RD card in the early days of the KCBS relationship and that card was still valid yesterday.

That's the news I wanted to hear. I too got one of the 'Hard Cards' with KCBS on it and was worried that it wouldn't work.

It doesnt take much to get a card. some business cards and a little sweet talking and you should be good. they used to make you "renew" each year by bringing in your papers but they have even stopped that.

I have 2 different cards that I use and I have been using one over the other more recently and they sent someone to my house to invite me back with some coupons. They want your money. give them a reason to give you a card and they will.

RD still accepts KCBS membership.

I think the bottom line is that "They want you to spend money with them".

As a KCBS member, all you have to do is show your current KCBS membership card and they will give you a temp card to use that day. You can shop just like everyone else except you will have to pay tax on your items. I went to the store in KC today with no issues. However, they will check the date on your card to make sure it's current.....they've had problems with that.

I used mine yesterday and they still gave me a pass without flinching.

I went yesterday to one in L.A. I'm pretty sure they don't have nearly as many KCBS members coming in as other locations across the country. The woman was unfamiliar with the KCBS thing, but I had a printout of the instructions that used to be on the KCBS site, which she followed. She went to the site and said "oh, that deal is over" but she was a sweetheart and gave me a day pass anyway.

Just give them a reason to let you spend your money with them. It's still about the dollar.

I went yesterday to one in L.A. I'm pretty sure they don't have nearly as many KCBS members coming in as other locations across the country. The woman was unfamiliar with the KCBS thing, but I had a printout of the instructions that used to be on the KCBS site, which she followed. She went to the site and said "oh, that deal is over" but she was a sweetheart and gave me a day pass anyway.

GTR -- was that the one in Torrance near the harbor freeway? When I visited there a couple of weeks ago (2 weeks ago tomorrow) the lady (an asian lady as I recall) didn't seem to know about it either -- but I didn't say anything and she gave me the day pass -- without filling out the green sheet like I did the 1st time visit (where that lady was familiar with the process) -- that was on a weekend..

GTR -- was that the one in Torrance near the harbor freeway? When I visited there a couple of weeks ago (2 weeks ago tomorrow) the lady (an asian lady as I recall) didn't seem to know about it either -- but I didn't say anything and she gave me the day pass -- without filling out the green sheet like I did the 1st time visit (where that lady was familiar with the process) -- that was on a weekend..

I was at the one on Jefferson a few blocks east of La Cienega - not the one in Torrance.

Thanks.. I've not been to that one.. I'll give it a shot again and see if I get in or not.. Thx!!

If you aren't set up to buy stuff on credit or be tax exempt its very simple. My RD card has the name of the organization on it, not a person. Anyone carrying it can shop there. Get a business owner to sign up for a non credit account and ask for extra cards. There is no charge.

All you need is a State TAX ID. Most of the time because you can list it as a sole proprietorship you wont even have to file a return. At least in NJ. It was painless and fast.

Back