• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Added another drum to the family. Behold the Denver Bronco UDS

249437_10151288830847489_713452955_n.jpg

547062_10151288831372489_1064883633_n.jpg

I decided to try the spray on stripper on my latest UDS build. It is a food grade drum with a dark brown liner.
RC3al.jpg

vPw7d.jpg

It took off 90% of the paint with one coat but didn't react with the liner.
4mpy3.jpg

After a couple burns with a weed burner and two more coats of the stripper I was able to get most of the liner off.

Cheers!

My UDS

My UDS

Attachments

• 20121015_182402.jpg
    20121015_182402.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 734
  • 20121015_182458.jpg
    20121015_182458.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 732
After much delay (about a year), I finally finished my first UDS last weekend.
The unit was assembled from a free drum donated by a friend, some canibalized parts from 2 CL 22.5 OTS's, and a few other donated and purchased parts. It features 2 cooking grates, a 14" X 9" charcoal basket no-weld basket with attached pizza pan ash catcher, and for now a turkey thero fitted into a 1/8" X 1/4" brass hose barb. I'm planning on mounting a second turkey thermo probably next week, as well as investing in an ET 732 Digital with some anniversary money from my wife, part of which paid for my newly minted Brethren subscription.

Shown are: the finished UDS, the basket in progress and the aluminum rim added for seating the Weber lid.

Thanks to all the many Brethren for their insipring tips and recipes and the community attitude that makes this forum such a great place to be.

Matt Allen
Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Oh my....Nice build! You gave me an idea to finish my UDS.

udsbatsmoker.jpg

I like the no weld option on your basket. I have a question for you: Are you going to connect the expanded metal assembly to the grate and catcher or is this bad boy ready to go?

Here is mine. I suck at painting, but it's supposed to be a UGLY Drum Smoker.

Last edited:
Oh my....Nice build! You gave me an idea to finish my UDS.

udsbatsmoker.jpg

I like the no weld option on your basket. I have a question for you: Are you going to connect the expanded metal assembly to the grate and catcher or is this bad boy ready to go?

Here is mine. I suck at painting, but it's supposed to be a UGLY Drum Smoker.

I never thought I'd give anyone here an idea, but thanks!

I love the Bat logo - ugly be damned!

The smoker's been operating each weekend for the last 3. I've done a fatty and ABTs first and 2 rib cooks on it. The temp control is great and I'm feeling guilty with my weber kettle sitting idle.

The expanded mesh is attached to the grate with stainless steel cable ties - it was an idea I saw here on the forum.

Finished the UDS for my buddy's wedding present.
W8Vue.jpg

He is borderline obsessed with mustangs so I stuck an emblem on the lid (just don't tell him I painted his BBQ Chevy Red-Orange lol)

I was bored with mine being plain black so I put a couple coats of burnt copper engine enamel on it.
W5SmD.jpg

Cheers!

Was just browsing through the homedepot website and found something that non-welder types can use to connect the charcoal basket rims to their base:

02b8f416-0aff-4f15-864c-accef6c70b36_300.jpg

(The one pictured aboved is zinc coated but you get the idea.)

Or maybe get a smaller chain and weave it through the expanded metal, this way you will have a handle as well?

That's what I did. I bought a 6ft steel security cable kit from the depot and used these to attach it to the expando metal of the charcoal box. It works well because the cable is so stiff that it does not fall to the bottom of the drum. I can always reach in and grab some part of it as it rests against the side of the drum just below my second cooking grate. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow.

Daggs,
Here's some pics of one of the 3 I have built.
BabySMoker.jpg

BabySmokerinside.jpg

Babysmokerbasket.jpg

DSCN0221.jpg

If you need any input, send me a pm. :thumb:

Finally gonna start building my UDS. Scored a brand new unlined drum with lid that is completely clean bare metal inside. Couple questions tho...

Do I need to do a burn in the drum before I build or am I good to go since I have a clean drum already?

Do I need to burn the paint off the outside of the drum for any reason?

Finally gonna start building my UDS. Scored a brand new unlined drum with lid that is completely clean bare metal inside. Couple questions tho...

Do I need to do a burn in the drum before I build or am I good to go since I have a clean drum already?

Do I need to burn the paint off the outside of the drum for any reason?

IMHO no, but I burned mine out INSIDE to be sure nothing nasty would vapor off during cooking, and that burnt the paint off the OUTSIDE.

You are going to want the burn the paint off on the outside because it will start to burn off at the bottome no matter what anyway. You then will be sure the there is nothing nasty left on the inside as well. Rather than do a huge burn out. Just take a weed burner to it if you have one handy.

Back