UDS Build - Two Cooking Trays

Rpf41978

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking at putting together my first UDS in the next week or two. I've been researching this for a few weeks and I would prefer to have two cooking trays in mine. I know I'll likely have to put in a diffuser tray to control the heat for the lower rack.
I've seen several designs that explain the cooking tray should be 20 - 23" from the coal basket; but, I have yet to find any designs with positioning for two trays. Does anyone have any suggested specifications or links that would point me in the right direction?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The general placement would be the lower rack about 8" down from the rim, and the upper rack even with the rim. You will need to use a domed lid to really make use of the upper rack.

I have a two rack UDS. The top rack is 6 inches from the top and the lower rack is 13 inches from the top. 6 inches on the top rack plus a webber dome lid gives me enough room on the top rack for beer can chickens

I had mine done with the top rack about four inches from the rim and the lower rack about 9 inches below that. I use a heat deflector made from the lid, resting right on top of the charcoal basket, no holes in it.

Mine runs perfectly. I don't minion to start it, I have a door in the sidewall of my UDS and fire it off with a weed burner. The lower rack runs about 20-25 degrees hotter than the upper. She likes to cruise about 230 most of the time.

My top Rack is 1/2" from the top, 2nd rack is 5.5" from the 1st rack. I Used the weber kettle lid. You MUST use the regular drum measuring 22 9/16" wide for the kettle lid to fit perfect. It's important that if you build a UDS with a weber Kellttle lid, to have the lid first. I ordered mine directly from weber for $52. That way you can take your lid with you to make sure it fits the drum snug. Rolled top lids will not work to get the tight seal necessary to control airflow.
I cut the tops out with a plasma cutter
702a3b38.jpg

6c0fd159.jpg

5982908f.jpg

0660586d.jpg

Brisket on top rack
94233ca8.jpg

Beer can chicken on the bottom
4c0fe4a6.jpg

No diffuser plate and I cooks even all around, no hot spots
b8d39451.jpg

I have built many different configurations of UDS's and this one is definitely the most efficient and best cooking one. Good luck on your build.

Hi all,
I'm looking at putting together my first UDS in the next week or two. I've been researching this for a few weeks and I would prefer to have two cooking trays in mine. I know I'll likely have to put in a diffuser tray to control the heat for the lower rack.
I've seen several designs that explain the cooking tray should be 20 - 23" from the coal basket; but, I have yet to find any designs with positioning for two trays. Does anyone have any suggested specifications or links that would point me in the right direction?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

try this !

Attachments

• barrel34dims(nice).jpg
    barrel34dims(nice).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 317
My top rack is 7" from the drum lip, second rack is 7" under that. No dome lid needed. Plenty of space for most cooking situations. If you do get a dome lid, you could feasibly have 3 cooking levels.... (gears start turning)

Thanks for all of the information. Can't wait to get back in town so I can start this project.

Sean, do use a diffuser pan or a water pan (similar to WSM)?

Last edited:
Back