Can you make pulled pork from Pork Loin

f308gt4

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wanted my wife to pick up a pork shoulder, instead she picked up a pork Loin...

Normally, for a loin, I would cook until it reaches ~145 internal, and slice.

Can I cook it low and slow till it's fork tender (temp?) and pull? Or, is it a case of not enough fat for that.

May just freeze the loin for another time, and pick up something myself on the way home from work.

Thanks!

Yeah you can. Make sure you drown it in sauce. I would cook it in a foil pan with some sauce or a marinade. Cover it with foil after an hour our so to try and keep some moisture in there. The crock pot sounds about right.

I'd check to see if it's enhanced. :razz:

Some folks will brine their pork loins, they'll handle a little higher finishing temp and still be juicy and tender. But I prefer loins pulled off at 140.

Yes, you can. It won't taste all that great. You will need to give it a little chop to get the texture just right. It isn't the ideal use of that cut.

What a waste of a loin. Ever heard of Tenderloin? Would you try to pull that? Yes there are a few around here that like their loins pulled. Ignore them!

Low and slow or on a rotiserie. good luck

You can do the loin like fligerlickin' said, or freeze it and get a shoulder.
I think it is funny...I have a Boston Butt thawing for tomorrow's cook! This will be my first Butt low & slow on charcoal. Can't wait!

check the roadmap for the 180 pork loin technique.. it makes it fork tender but it will never be like pulled pork. its willkats favorite technique..

foil at 160 with apple juice, bring to 180+, let rest, and then pull apart.

Back