Workin on my comp yardbird.

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What do ya think?

compchix.jpg

LOL, I messed with five of these tonight, two different rub mixes...there's one left on the plate. OMG. I finally got it. You mean this money shot?

compchix2.jpg

Thanks Boogie, I can only hope for that but I am up against a whole ton of teams next month. As we all know, anyone can win. I hate chicken more than anything for a comp, but that made me work harder at it. I think I have the balance and the profile down now. After 60 or so trial runs, I am very pleased with the final product.

chicken is the easiest. just takes practice, alot of it.

you put in the work, and it should pay off.

brisket, for me, is the hardest. i have so few opportunities to cook that cut.

Nice work, looks like a 9 to me! It's down to the taste now (and the table it lands on!).

Looks good...coulda used it last weekend instead of the hot mess that I turned in.:mad:

MMMMM! Pillow thighs with Blues Hog! PNWBA CBJ's LOVE them!

They look nice!

Hey Brian, not Blues Hog at all. Bonedaddy, nope, no toothpicks used on these either. I made my own sauce on these, just trying to brighten up my color with the flavor profile hitting right, going to mess around with different sweeteners on the next batch. This one is my Knob Creek whisky sauce. I will bring some to the Skewered Apple if'n you want to swing by for a taste.

As for trimming, I try to get as close to comp trim when I practice, as I can. However these could have been trimmed down a bit more. I left the knuckles on and shaved off the rounded ends of them, took out the vein and most of the fat pockets. Skins were removed and scraped down fairly well.

Back