WBAB Radio - Mini Grill Kings Cook off

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
FYI....

I just got a call from the Promotions & Events Mgr. at WBAB Radio (one of the sponsors of the NY State Grill Kings BB Contest on 7/15-16....)
WBAB is doing a promo BBQ contest the week before the event at at radio station.

They have asked us (Bad Bones BBQ Crew) if we were interested in being one of five teams to compete live on the radio during the morning show...

Sean and I accepted. Looks like we have to get there at 7 and have one entry ready to go by 8:30 ... so it will be a grilling entry for us on the Weber Kettle.

Said that the winner will get some prizes and concert tickets etc.

The teams are :
Bad Bones BBQ Crew (us)
Ma's Que Crew
Sir Sauce a Lot
Big Daddy's Pit Crew
TNT Dynamite BBQ

Last edited:
Sorry...forgot that part

Fri. July 7th at WBAB on Sunrise Highway in W. Bablyon.
Start at 7AM with food to to be ready by 8:30.

It'll be interesting for Sir Sauce A Lot - he's looking to rent a pit!

Just got home... Had a good time. Got there at 6:45, lit chimney by 7:30, meat chops on grill by 8 and turned in at 8:30. Smoker showed up for a surprise visit on his way to work which was nice.

Sir Sauce a lot won with a grilled pizza topped with filet mignon, carmelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. Got to sample it, it tasted good. Ma's Q Crew made a beef tenderloin with peppers and Pit Daddy's made a Ribeye steak with Maytag blue cheese (I think that's what I remember). They also made some spicy sausage and shrimp too.

We did Maple Mustard Glazed Sirloin Pork Chops (bone in) topped with sesame seeds and marischino cherries. In the corner of the box had an apple slaw made with shredded granny smith and braeburn apples with raisins and walnuts and tossed with cider vinegar. We could not have been more pleased with how the pork chops came out and that is all we could ask for. It was only judged by the two on air radio hosts and they tasted our entry first. The comments I recall for our pork chops were "amazing" and "most succulent pork chops ever". They were kind to all four of the teams as it was a promotional event.

Got two tickets to see Creedence Clearwater at NorthFork Theatre for Sunday night and a 4th of July Vermont Teddy Bear to give to my daugther along with some other giveaways like t-shirts, hats, mugs etc.

Is Bob "Don't call me Bucky" Buckman still a DJ there? I had all but forgot about the station. I used to love it.

Bob was the program manager there for a while and then left to move to Q104.3 which is based in NYC. They play the same 150 songs that WBAB plays.

Back