guess who is gonna learn how to do

mmmmeat

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
PRIME RIB!!!!

<<<< this guy that's who, Frys (same as kroger... and ...others) is having rib roasts, bone in, end roasts all kinds of goodness on sale this week, i got excited!! 4.99 whole in bag, or 5.99 bone in smaller roasts

i have wanted to try out prime rib on GRUNTER for a while now, so i thought this was my chance, 4.99 Great googly moogly!!! im in...or so i thought... when i get to the store... to get that 4.99 a pound ya had to buy the WHOLE 20lb roast.... dam.... not gettin that.... i dont have 100 bones lyin around for basically ME to eat SWMBO will not even look at PR....

BBBBBBBUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT i did find them smaller end bone in roasts, 5.99 a pound, i grabbed up a 6 ish pound roast, it cost bout 38 bux so still wayy cheaper than normal, soooo now....

give me some suggestions, i was thinkin of insertin some garlic into it and dirty dalmation on the outside and that's it cook bout 230 til...what 150 in the MIDDLE of the roast, and let it carry on up or should i take to 160 and carry.

next comes the horseradish....who's got a good HR sauce for me? GORE ya got anything, Howwa bout you LARRY???

im ready to slam this thing outta the park!!! :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

oh and i gotta do 5 or more racks of ribs christmas dinner too, gonna be a good week next week!!!

I did the garlic/slits thing one year, honestly, not really worth the effort. Now I just rub it down with garlic cloves and then a light coat of oil and go with Montreal. Instead of searing before or after, I like to do it indirect with the meat pretty close to the heat, and just rotate it so it gets some nice color all around. If I remember correctly I pulled it at 120 and let it rise to about 125 under a foil tent for the rest.
Got a pic in my album I believe.
Same price around here. I'll be picking one up soon too and dry aging it a bit in the fridge.

Man, you're setting yourself up for a good time! I'd go a little lower on the internal finished temp, but that's just me... I like it still fightin' back when you stick a fork in it.

lower like how low buddy? arent you sposed to be on a boat??

I would not inject anything, any standing rib roast carries enough flavor if you like beef. I would give it a good run of kosher salt, medium grind black pepper and some fresh herbs. You could rub it down with a load of crushed garlic.

I used to use straight grated horseradish and the jus from the pan. But, there was some displeasure about the intensity of the horseradish and my not telling anyone it was not blended (which I think is obvous). So, now I mix a few tablespoons into a half cup each of mayo and sour cream. Okay, maybe a lot of few tablespoons. I still serve the jus along with it. Sometimes I make extra jus and fortify with demi-glace and red wine.

I cook to 130F internal. I like to get there slowly, although I do sear, sort of.

ok, next question, should i cook it in a pan on the smoker then? so i can keep the au jus?
raised on a grate or right in the pan?

I have done all three, my current preference is to put a load of aromatics into the bottom of the pan, like thick slices of onion, stalks of celery and carrots split into strips. Build them up to 1" at least. I actually will add a little salt to this. Then plop meat on top, you are making a rack of veggies.

Once meat is done, and jus is soaking the veggies, I filter and let cool, defat and you are started along the way to dinner.

I have done all three, my current preference is to put a load of aromatics into the bottom of the pan, like thick slices of onion, stalks of celery and carrots split into strips. Build them up to 1" at least. I actually will add a little salt to this. Then plop meat on top, you are making a rack of veggies.
Y that settles it that's what I'm doin!!

Here's some pics of the roast
48c98261-de91-a803.jpg

48c98261-dea2-b2f5.jpg

I do mine like BobBrisket turns out great ever time. I do like landarc's idea of doing it on a bed of veggies. I miss the days when ribroasts used to be $2.99 a pound Christmas week. The meat cutter would tell our food manager I was personally responsible for blowing his margin in December because I would buy 2 shopping carts full every year.

I like to just rub them olive oil and salt and papper and cook them right on the grate of my smoker, Landarc said it "standing rib roast carries enough flavor", Good looking roast can't wait to see pron!

PRIME RIB!!!!

what 150 in the MIDDLE of the roast, and let it carry on up or should i take to 160 and carry.

next comes the horseradish....who's got a good HR sauce for me? GORE ya got anything, Howwa bout you LARRY???

Some high heat sear 1st, some reverse sear, some just cook at 225° till it hits internal temperature they choose. I am a sear 1st person, mine also involvest rest the meat into the cook and then starting cooking process again...good luck with your choice.

If you cook to 150° internal, you will be on the high end of medium well and at 160° you are getting into brown all the way through meat.

I am trying to figure out the HR sauce myself, I am going with 1/2 cup sour cream, 3 Tsp of HR and 3 Tsp of cream cheese...Will try and electric wisk till smoth, hoping not to turn sour cream into liquid.

A squeeze of lemon and a decent dash of salt round out the HR sauce nicely.

Rib roasts are pretty easy and forgiving. There is a nice thread started by Darita that has a few nice suggestions. Please do NOT take to 160*. It'll make me cry. I like to cook slow, indirect, about 225* until it is about 125* internal. I do bones down, right on the grates and do not move. You could put a pan underneath to catch the drippings and maybe put some carrots and potatoes in there too. I then let it sit for about 20-30 minutes under foil while I bring my Oval up to about 600* and move the grates. I then sear for about a minute a side. This results in a very uniformly cooked roast on the inside, medium rare, and a crust on the outside from the reverse sear. The reverse sear also preserves the most juices (for what it's worth). These things are pretty juicy anyway.

Here's darita's thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96828

What I like:
Simple seasoning, salt, pepper, Lawry's, lots of Parsley to form a crust. I really like parsley a lot on these and lots of pepper too and load up on the all edges.
Keep it simple. These things have a lot of flavor.
What I don't like:
I really don't like injections or garlic, and especially not inserted cloves of garlic. Garlic tastes good in pork in my opinion, but I really don't like it in beef, except in some rare circumstances (meatballs, braciole...)
Don't slice right into it, but make sure you let it rest or all those juices will run right out.

Did any of us mention resting the roast? Because the roast should be rested for at least 20 minutes after coming off the cooker. It is pretty important to rest the roast, and to remember it will continue to climb in temperature for a few degrees.

yes bob, rest it, very important step for most meats, especially fer huge hunkers, i learned from my days of being laid off and watchin primal grill with that steve guy, and america's test kitchen

mmm my mouth is drooling already

I spent a good part of the year watching those shows, along with several others.

Back