• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

You Made This TOO SPICY!!!!!

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have come to notice that alot of times my friends and family will remark that something I cooked, be it wings, or chili, or gumbo or anything else is to hot and spicy. However it also occurs to me that they are usually saying this as they are going back for seconds or thirds! Inevitibly when I tone down the heat in the recipe the flavor comes down with it. People in general don't seem to understand that the various peppers that supply the heat to a dish also give it a large portion of it's flavor!

Does this happen to anybody else?

Yeah next time you feed them hand them a XXL water and a wet towel and tell em to grow a pair! :p

I think I read somewhere that spicy foods make your body produce adrenaline that makes you enjoy the food even more.

I had this same problem with my bbq sauce when if I first started making it. People that tasted it loved the levels of flavor but stated that there was too much "heat" in it. So I set out to try to keep the levels of flavor yet "tone down" the heat in it and I finally did.

I think if you're able to, find a way to tone down the heat but keep the good flavor. Just because they're going back for more doesn't mean that they truly don't mean it's too hot. I had the same thing happen. Once I toned down the heat yet kept the flavor they went back even more.

Smoked a buncha Hatch peppers in August & froze them and will be making some chili Wednesday for the first game of the World Series. Gonna be my first batch of chili this Fall & there's a good chance i'll have to drink a few beers to counteract the heat. Luckily, i have a whole lotta beer.

This used to also be the case for me. I loved the flavor peppers brought. After a while, I found I was able to make milder stuff I liked and didn't blow people away. I mostly use that stuff now. My Foil Hat rub for example is quite tame and accessible to pretty much everybody. There are other flavors to enjoy besides just the flavor of peppers in the long run. For now, enjoy the peppers!:cool:

There is a whole world of peppers out there to explore that includes seasoning peppers from both the chinense and aji species that can help you create those chile pepper profiles without the heat, or with less heat. I would think Phubar would know of these. I personally will go for a chili that is damaging to my overall well being because I like the feel when I am done. But, for me, a large part of why I cook if to make folks happy, and if I can provide the flavor without thier suffering, that seems to me is elevating my craft.

I have found that by leaving in the chilli but taking out the black pepper and white pepper I have got my family happy with it. For some reason, and maybe it's just the brand of black/white pepper I use, but that seems to affect them more than the chilli but doesn't really affect the overall flavour much. Also by changing from hot paprika to sweet paprika helped.

I did this one with the All South BBQ Rub in the brethren cookbook and some babys. Only I was into a football game while mixing and accidently did 3 tbsp cayenne and 1 tbsp chili powder. lol My buddy and I enjoyed it, but it about drove everyone else out of the house. Good thing I used some store bought rub on the butt of they would have gone hungry

I love "HEAT" from peppers and have always heard that it's too hot, but like you said they never stopped eating. I have found that some peppers employ MORE flavor and no heat at all. The problem is you can almost never find those specialty peppers for sale and if you do they are very expensive. The answer to my problem was to grow my own! I started growing my own peppers a few years ago and have been growing them ever since. I grow exotic super hots like the Bhut Jolokia, Fatali, and Trinidad Scorpion. Since most of those are sooo hot I only need 1-2 plants to add some heat to a sauce. The best flavored peppers are the lemon pepper, ahi cerza, pineapple ahi and several others variaties. Those are all about flavor and most have little to no heat at all. I either make a concentrate from the fresh peppers or dry them out and grind them into a fine powder. Mixing several different types of peppers along with some flavors like mango, citrus, garlic, onion can make a VERY good dry rub if you know what your doing. All in all I have about 40 diffent pepper powders that I use to mix and match for specific dishes. Once I find the perfect balance I document it and mix up special batches for friends and family. I even have a powder topping for ice cream!

I have come to notice that alot of times my friends and family will remark that something I cooked, be it wings, or chili, or gumbo or anything else is to hot and spicy.
QUOTE]

Nothing is EVER too hot and spicy!!! :becky:

Actions speak louder than words.

If they go back for seconds... it ain't *TOO* spicy! :thumb:

Yeah next time you feed them hand them a XXL water and a wet towel and tell em to grow a pair! :p

A wise man once told me that the purpose of "heat" came from the "East" - as in Thailand & Viet Nam" - to cover the taste of rancid meat. That sticks in the forefront of my head whenever I cook.

My brother, on the other hand, can differentiate between "3-alarm - volcanic & Atomic - and prefers Atomic. I cannot. Anything hotter than Ketchup, for me, is "pressing the envelope". Perhaps I'm a "lightweight" but let's set down over a couple of Drambouis' & Miller Light and explore the differences in our preferences. :-D

I'm reminded of when my brother-in-law once complained about my ribs being too spicy as the bones continued to pile up on his plate. If they'd been up to his approval, I guess I'd gone hungry.

Just did a Tri-tip chili at the Brethren Bash. To me it was mild, to others it was hot, but all kept going back for seconds, so bring on the heat!

I have WAAAAY too many South American friends to keep my level of spicy in check :)

When I cooked for my family last summer they all said it was good but the heat would creep up on them. I just made a sweeter sauce to help them tone it down a little :thumb:

Yeah I had the problem with the family, then my dad moved back into my town... thank God, someone who appreaciates heat.

Back