BBQ Build

N

novicequer

I have been bbqing for about a year and a half and taking a leap as to try and build a smoker in my spare time. My question to the experienced folks here on the brethren is what would be the best gauge steel to use for the build?

Please bear with me as I know this question has been asked many a times I just could not seem to find it on the board.

Truly new to a build,

novicequer

I would guess the thickness would be based on design / style of smoker.
What are you trying to build or clone?
Take a close look at the specs of the design or post up here what you are after.
A lot of folks have build smokers around here. No need to re invent the wheel.:becky:
jon

If you are going to build a pull behind pit smoker, use a propane tank, if you can find one.

Thicker is better, but it also depends on how much food you need to smoke with it. If you're only doing a couple of butts or a brisket, a steel drum has sufficient thickness. For larger rigs, i've seen people use all the way up to 3/8" thick.

Chit, I have to say it.:icon_blush: Try a uds for a quickie :wink:

Thanks for the info. I am not going too large so it seems the oil drum is the way to go. I just have to get away from the brinkmann water smoker I have. Even though I have produced some nice bbq with it I think it is time for a step up.

If you want to se a lot of diferent builds google Prairie BBQ Kinda like a reference book for builds of all sorts

Start pricing 3/16" or 1/4" plate and a UDS looks real good :laugh::laugh:

Back