View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Update

Well, the weeping ribs method I'm afraid was a bust, so I converted it into a no-foil vs foil trial instead.

Part of the problem was that with the foil rim on the UDS the temp control was much more stable, and so I didn't get the higher temps by default (caused by the leak around the rim in earlier cooks). In my limited experience, maybe a UDS is not the best for trying the weeping ribs method. My rationale before lighting the fire for this cook had been that if I'm going to get higher temps anyways, may as well try to use it to my advantage.

I made 3 racks of babybacks. After about 3.5 hours at 240-280, I foiled 2 racks for 30mins then sauced for 30mins. The unfoiled ribs had better texture - the fat rendered better. The foiled ribs got this steamed taste/texture that I didn't care for much.

I think I'm also done with babybacks. Will definitely do spares next time and see what all the fuss is about. I think my next cook will be spares on the UDS, 4 hours at 240-270 then sauce and leave on a little longer for the sauce to set.

Thanks for all the tips!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote