PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Killer Slaw

There are some foods that are highly personal. They are the kinds of food
that tend to evoke intense memories that are usually tied to one's
upbringing. The first one that pops to mind for me is the Thanksgiving
feast. That's about as intensely personal as it gets for me. Well,
sauerkraut and pork is a very close second. Oh, and spaghetti is another.
Then there's lasagna, but I digress...

KillerSlaw_1_1_640.jpg

I've found that, within barbecue circles, there are a handful of side dishes
that are also intensely personal. Cole slaw is just such a side. If it ain't like
mama made, it just ain't right!

In my experience there are two major slaw camps -- creamy, and
non-creamy. I am tempted to call the second camp "vinegary", but I don't
know if that's the term I'm after. Perhaps they might prefer the "creamy
slaw sucks" moniker.

With all that said, I think I have developed a slaw recipe that will appease
everyone in the creamy vs. non-creamy debate. This slaw is decidedly
creamy enough, but also vinegary enough to be at home on a pulled pork
sandwich. Oh, and it's pretty healthy, too.

OK, that's enough chatter. Let's make some slaw!

Ingredients
2 bags (16 oz each) Tri-color slaw
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Canola oil
2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp Garlic salt
1 tsp Peanut butter, creamy-style
1/2 tsp Celery salt
1 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
1/8 tsp Maggi Seasoning
Juice of 1/2 lemon (approximately 1 Tbsp)

Method
Combine all of the ingredients, except the slaw mix, in an extra-large mixing
bowl.

Whisk the dressing until all of the ingredients are smooth and
well-incorporated.

Add the slaw mixture and fold it in to coat it all evenly.

Cover, refrigerated, for at least two hours or overnight, stirring
occasionally.

Serve and enjoy.

-----

John

Peanut Butter.. something I never had in a slaw. Wondering how it will taste. Thanks for the idea. I am a "non creamy" slaw guy myself.

Here's the story behind the peanut butter.

I usually put roasted peanut oil in my slaw, but I couldn't find any locally and
I was in a jam (no pun intended). So, I decided to simply use canola and
peanut butter, since I was after a light peanut flavor.

Don't let it scare you off. My kids say that this is absolutely the best slaw
that I've ever made.

John

Looks very interesting. Oddly enough, I like both styles of slaw -- just depends on what I'm eating it with. I will definitely give this a shot. Thanks for sharing.

I want to try this slaw but I don't know where to get "Maggi Seasoning" at. Is there something else I can use in it's place?

If this will appease both the vinegary AND the creamy crowd, you've really accomplished something here. Even if not though, it really looks like an interesting recipe, so thanks a bunch!

Sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing!
I agree about the whole "slaw being personal" thing. There are SO many variations on slaw recipes that it's easy to be wary. I also agree with the "creamy vs. non-creamy" groups, but I think there's even maybe "subgroups": Sweet, tart, crunchy, dry, wet, etc. Then there's the different ways to treat the cabbage: sliced, shredded, thin sliced (mandolin), chopped. I think that the main reason for the "creamy vs non-creamy" debate stems from people's preference on mayonaise, as that's typically what gives slaw the "creamy".

Anyway, I'd have to say that I also like the creamy and non-creamy varieties. The one I usually end up making at home is a "Memphis Mustard Slaw" that has mustard (ilo mayo), as well as vinegar, so it's like your recipe here: just creamy enough with a little of the "vinegary".

I'll definitely try yours....maybe this weekend. Thanks again!:thumb:

I'll bet the nut butter helps with the emulsification of the dressing besides tasting good. Thanks for the recipe.

I want to try this slaw but I don't know where to get "Maggi Seasoning" at. Is there something else I can use in it's place?
Yo there, Try Rines(sp?) or Publix for sure.

Sounds fantastic. I have been fartin around with coleslaw recipes and will have to try this one. Its actually quite difficult to find a good recipe since there is almost always a bunch of people who will rate it as "fantastic" because of their unique personal tastes.

I personally like Reser's type of slaw, creamy sweet. Similar to KFCs, and probably for that reason it taste's like "mom's cookin" for me.

This looks like a good compromise for all tastes.

Sounds fantastic. I have been fartin around with coleslaw recipes and will have to try this one. Its actually quite difficult to find a good recipe since there is almost always a bunch of people who will rate it as "fantastic" because of their unique personal tastes.

I personally like Reser's type of slaw, creamy sweet. Similar to KFCs, and probably for that reason it taste's like "mom's cookin" for me.

This looks like a good compromise for all tastes.

Thanks. Imagine KFC slaw with more crunch, more tang, and less liquid.
That's kinda how this is.

John

Note: If you can't find Maggi Seasoning, just use a dash each of
Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce

John

If it tastes as good as it looks... it's going to be very good. Thanks for sharing. I may add a little spicey kick to it.... but will give this one try for sure. Love the peanut butter flavoring idea.

You had me at buttermilk.:idea: Brilliant idea.
I enjoy both creamy and, yes, I do call it vinegary, slaws depending on the application. A creamy slaw, substituted for a traditional salad in a meal, makes a fine compliment to mashed potatos almost regardless of the entree. I also enjoy a creamy slaw on hot dogs too. Gotta have my vinegar for pulled pork though.

Outstanding recipe John. I've got it saved. Thanks!:clap2:

Back