BBQ Classes

Dan - 3eyzbbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have heard this come up more and more, so I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion.

If you take a BBQ class from somebody teaching you their techniques of competition bbq is it wrong to share the info you have collected with somebody that was not in the class?

If so, where do you draw the line? Can you share with your teamates or spouse or your neighbor that never competes? Or is it that your not supposed to share with somebody that knows how to use the info (like a fellow competitor).

My take? I'm thinking that once you take a class, those techniques become yours and you can do whatever you want with them. Now if a handout is distributed wth pics and it states not to pass it on or copy it, then you should respect that. But to not verbally share the info or your notes, seems wrong should the person who took the class want to do that.

What do you all think?

I am a firm believer in you still have to produce the product, so I say yes you can share whatever you would like. There are really no truly hidden secrets out there, some just think they have them!

Out of respect to those who put on the class, I do not think it is fair to share that information with someone else. Sure some can't keep a secret, but what's the incentive for class instructors if they see/hear someone blabbing about their techniques? Now if you take their technique and change it enough to the point it's yours then I suppose it's probably ok then if you so chose to do so.

I have taken 2 classes. Myron's and Scottie's. Basically, I believe that a person should respect the wishes of the instructor. I do believe that I have paid for the info, and it's mine to do with what I please. However, if part of the understanding of the class is that I don't share specifics, I'll respect that. After all, I can always back out of the class if I don't like the "rules."

In addition, Myron is in business, so the cost of doing business is that your trade secrets aren't secrets once you sell them! However, Scottie is raising money for his foundation. I would not want to be responsible for costing him an additional $500 entry fee/donation because I gave away the notes to his class.

This is an interesting thread!

giving away the exact notes, not cool, but telling people what you've learned, no harm done imho. Somebody may tell you how to do something, but actually seeing it done, and being there to help is worth a lot more when it comes to learning something....with that being said, start sharing some of these secrets!!!!

I agree with Buster Dog. The guys teaching the classes are guys just like us, except that they have had some success and are willing to share it for a fee. Freely sharing what you learned in the class would be taking money out of their pockets.

I'm with you 100% Dan, same also like if you go on tv using muffin pans you can not get upset if next year you see people using muffin pans. If you don't want others to know then keep it a secret.

I always wondered about the entire technique class thing. I cannot imagine them being worth the money, google is free? This is just my opinion!

I don't share too much with anyone but teammates. Maybe overall ideas, temps, stuff like that, but not rubs, sauces, or presentation. I figure that the cook teaching the class has alot of time and money tied up in developing their techniques. I'm robbing them of possible future income if I tell everyone everything they do.
All that being said, when are you giving a rib class? :-D:-D:eusa_clap

Rod and Johnny were upfront and said something like "You paid for the info, it's yours to do with as you please.". There was also a suggestion that since we'd paid for it, we might not want to give it away for free. THAT WAS TONGUE IN CHEEK.

They charged a fair price, and gave up the info. I appreciated that and I came away with some new ideas and a new way to look at what I'd done in the past. Out of respect for both Rod and Johnny, I've chosen not to share it. Rod's still teaching classes and I have no interest in having a negative impact on his income.

My .02

I agree with some of what you both said but as for myself if I spent my hard earned money to take a class and someone wanted to know what I learned at that class I think I could possibly have a hard time with giving up the info That individual could attend the same class as well. Something to think about though.

I have heard this come up more and more, so I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion.

If you take a BBQ class from somebody teaching you their techniques of competition bbq is it wrong to share the info you have collected with somebody that was not in the class?

I think you you should feel free to share the newly learned techniques with your team-mates. But I don't think posting the technique on a public forum would be cool.

In the classes I have taken, the instructors let us all know their thoughts on this matter. I respected and stayed true to these thoughts.
I don't know why you would just give info away but if your teamate was not in the class it's kind of hard to hide it from them anyway...and not that you would want to.

I have always wondered, if you took a class and became quite successful in competitions using what you learned, can you now teach a class yourself?

I'm with you 100% Dan, same also like if you go on tv using muffin pans you can not get upset if next year you see people using muffin pans. If you don't want others to know then keep it a secret.

Showing a technique on TV is completely different. The TV show is broadcast freely (or with a monthly cable fee) to millions. You're right that exposing something like that on TV and then being surprised when it is used is silly, but it is different from someone paying for a class and then freely distributing the information.

I realize that people are going to ultimately do what they want to with the information, but I am going to ask that they keep it for themselves. Some will respect that, some won't; I'm not going to stress over it.

I realize that people are going to ultimately do what they want to with the information, but I am going to ask that they keep it for themselves. Some will respect that, some won't; I'm not going to stress over it.

Good outlook! The good people will respect you for that and keep it to themselves and the others will do what they do.

If I buy a cook-book I can loan it out or share a recipe it's mine I paid for it.

Back