• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE DOME Temp

Bacon_99

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Strange - smoking my first two boston butts today and a couple of rib racks and I noticed that the grate temp (using another thermo) is about 100 F off at 300 F dome temp and at 350 F dome temp my grill grate temp looks to be 25... And this is after having the egg go for 6 hours - been keeping it at 300 on the egg but it would appear I'm actually smoking at 215 ish... :mad:

Anyway - find that surprising.... Should there really be that big a difference between grill temp and dome temp? I have the place setter in. :confused:

Even took the grill thermo (cheap oven thermo) and put it in boiler water along with three other thermos I have i=and it looks calibrated correctly... Could my f=dome thermo on the BGE really become uncalibrated after only one 1 hr cook last weekend...

Very weird..

Will post another thread about the butts when their done with pron... Made home made burger buns for the pulled pork yesterday... also got some ribs on the go :lol:

Strange - smoking my first two boston butts today and a couple of rib racks and I noticed that the grate temp (using another thermo) is about 100 F off at 300 F dome temp and at 350 F dome temp my grill grate temp looks to be 25... And this is after having the egg go for 6 hours - been keeping it at 300 on the egg but it would appear I'm actually smoking at 215 ish... :mad:

Anyway - find that surprising.... Should there really be that big a difference between grill temp and dome temp? I have the place setter in. :confused:

Even took the grill thermo (cheap oven thermo) and put it in boiler water along with three other thermos I have i=and it looks calibrated correctly... Could my f=dome thermo on the BGE really become uncalibrated after only one 1 hr cook last weekend...

Very weird..

Will post another thread about the butts when their done with pron... Made home made burger buns for the pulled pork yesterday... also got some ribs on the go :lol:

That's a bit odd...I've had my dome and grate be off as much as 25-50 but get within 5-10 after a couple of hours. I'd check your BGE thermo again...:cool:

I use a Guru on the grate temp and it's around 10 degrees hotter on the grate than the BGE thermo dome temp.

One of your thermos is off as far as I can tell.

boiling water calibrate. My tel-tru is dead on with my et-73 ...

Strange - had the extension grill flipped up with the oven thermo on it - left to for 20 mins, not on purpose- read about only 10 off the dome one.... Can't be much of diff with the bge one then - will test it when I'm done the cook to see if it's right..

I guess I just wonder exactly what am I supposed to be smoking at? The grill temp or is the dome temp ok on the egg? For example - was trying to do ribs and pork shoulder at 250 - was 250 or 300 on the dome ok I wonder....

Ah well - all I know is that my shoulders are done at 190 and sitting in the cooler - now just waiting for the ribs to finish... Expected the shoulders to take longer, but only took about 5.5 hours for them (about 3# each)...

Strange - had the extension grill flipped up with the oven thermo on it - left to for 20 mins, not on purpose- read about only 10 off the dome one.... Can't be much of diff with the bge one then - will test it when I'm done the cook to see if it's right..

I guess I just wonder exactly what am I supposed to be smoking at? The grill temp or is the dome temp ok on the egg? For example - was trying to do ribs and pork shoulder at 250 - was 250 or 300 on the dome ok I wonder....

Ah well - all I know is that my shoulders are done at 190 and sitting in the cooler - now just waiting for the ribs to finish... Expected the shoulders to take longer, but only took about 5.5 hours for them (about 3# each)...

i cook mostly at 250-275 for butts ribs and the rare briskey, and 325 for turkeys, 350 for pork loins and chicken

^^^ Good Question.... I too am wondering if I should be reading everything as grill temps or dome temp when grilling. If someone says 250 - does that mean 250 grill temp for BGEs?

Thanks for all the helpful ideas all - food turned out good - but pork was more sliceable than pullable - guess I should have waited for 200 (pulled off at 190 and rested in cooler for an hour or so - was a little less tender than I would have expected)...... Ribs were killer - back ribs - 2 - 1 and 15 mins.... worked well.... Meat didn't fall off but was very tender - best ribs I've ever cooked....

Back