Char-siu Spare Ribs

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Today, I decided to try something I have seen in Chinese meat shops, but, that I have never tried. I started with an untrimmed, natural rack of spareribs and trimmed with the goal being what I know as a modified St. Louis rack. I left the rib tips on, as I did not intend to share this rack, so no need to create the rib tips for a cook's sampler. Here is the rack.
P1190017.jpg

You can see the shape of the modified St. Louis cut and the spoils which will become chorizo soon. I prepared the marinade per the recipe here (Linky) with the modification that I did not have ketchup, so I went with some BBQ sauce. The ribs were allowed to marinate for 4 hours.
P1190021.jpg

Meanwhile, I fired up the kettle and got a fire going, charcoal and a couple small hunks of cherry wood for smoke. I got the kettle up to 300F, put the ribs in and adjusted everything to get it to smoke along at 300F, shortly after placing the ribs, the rain really came on and the temps settled in at a nice 250F within 30 minutes of the ribs going on. The ribs were allowed to cook for 3 hours unmolested, the temps held steady during that time. At the 3 hour mark, I gave the ribs a brush top and bottom with some glaze, essentially the same recipe as the marinade, but with some honey added. This was allowed to go another 30 minutes, glazed again and allowed to finish at 4 hours. Here is the rack fresh from the smoker.
P1190023.jpg

The pink color tells me that the marinade time was adequate, there is no really visible smoke ring, I chalk that up to the marinade penetration and color. The ribs were juicy and tender, with a great char-siu flavor that I was hoping for. The one thing I think I would do differently is up the smoke wood, as it was too subtle for this recipe.
P1190027.jpg

I made some baby backs a few weeks ago using your marinade except I added some 5 spice powder. It was as close as I could get to a local Chinese place where I grew up. I had these with fried rice. Thanks Bro.
NUTZ

Last edited:
Dang! both posts look good! 5 spice is great stuff too, really changes the whole flavor profile and lets you know it's an Asian dish.
Thanks
Gary

Wow, that looks fanstastic. Think I might be stealing that one.

Wow. that's some good stuff. Now I'm hungry. I want some ribs. It is a damn shame you're in CA...

Thanks everyone, great job on those baby backs John, yes, they worked out very nicely for you. I am now thinking a chicken might need to bathe in the marinade next.

Back