Paul Kirk

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As time permits, I'm going to go through as many of the minutes as I have and list the amount of times that committee chairs that are up for reelection have filed reports at the monthly meetings.

Reporting on your committees actions or inaction isn't the end all and be all of their contributions, but I do find it telling. I would appreciate input from those more in the know about why someones activity doesn't mean they should get your vote or why their inactivity doesn't mean that you should exclude them.

According to the 20 different BoD meeting minutes that I went over from 2007 to current, Paul Kirk has had a committee report for his committee (education) 4 times. He has had no report 15 times. One copy of the minutes was inconclusive.

No reports:
April 08
Jan 09
March 08
April 09
May 09
May 08
June 09
July 09
August 09
September 09
September 08
Nov 07
Nov 08
Dec 08
Aug 07

Report:
2/25/09
3/11/09
04/07
10/08

Inconclusive:
Dec. 07

I hope that this is helpful to others as it was a pain in the *ss to go through.

Eric

I am a big fan of education and it is vitally important to the future growth of KCBS. I've stressed the importance of seeing ANY some sign of activity on committees for a long time now and this even surprises me...

"any some sign"? :roll::lol: Guess I was up way too late last night! Hate it when the edit button is gone.

I find it interesting that there is virtually nothing to report on education, because that's not what they tell the IRS.

From KCBS 2008 990 form:

KCBS2008990-1.JPG

Note that above they refer to "Statement 8" for what the primary exempt purpose is.

KCBS2008990-2.JPG

With education being one of the two stated purposes for the exempt status, I would think that there should be something of substance to report regularly.

I would think that it would be imporant to do so to maintain documented substantiation of the fulfillment of the prupose of its oroganization's tax exempt status, but then what do I know?

Has anyone checked for a pulse?

While you were compiling these stats, I don't suppose you did them for everyone? I'd like to see those numbers...

Thank you for doing this. I've often contemplated it and figured... Nah...

Has anyone checked for a pulse?

While you were compiling these stats, I don't suppose you did them for everyone? I'd like to see those numbers...

Thank you for doing this. I've often contemplated it and figured... Nah...

I agree...I think it is important to be able to cast an educated ballot. If the incumbents are not doing anything, why should they stay in, but on the other hand, if they have been a positively contributing director leading the way, then they should stay. I hope this is done with all of the directors seeking re-election. Thank you.

-Kevin

Just a thought here...

Wouldn't classes taught by folks like Paul be considered "educational". I'm sure his schedule and curriculum are public knowledge...

...or am I way off the topic base?

Just curious...

JD

Sure they are educational. They are also profit driven... I mean, unless The Baron of BBQ is donating all of his profits back to the KCBS... I sure wouldn't hold my breath on that.... :eek:

Obviously "no report" does not equal "no work done on behalf of KCBS." Certainly it might, but Paul deserves the benefit of deeper investigation before he is summarily dismissed as a lazy good for nothing. That goes for all the other members of the Board.

I think we need to see the others. We see this as a horrible record but others may be worse. I also question how much of a litmus test this actually is for the leadership. Is there a benchmark that we could follow? I guess what I am asking is "What exactly am I looking at and how does it bode for the person its attached to?"

Just a thought here...

Wouldn't classes taught by folks like Paul be considered "educational". I'm sure his schedule and curriculum are public knowledge...

Just curious...

JD

I suspect that KCBS catagorizes CBJ classes as education.

Obviously "no report" does not equal "no work done on behalf of KCBS." Certainly it might, but Paul deserves the benefit of deeper investigation before he is summarily dismissed as a lazy good for nothing. That goes for all the other members of the Board.

I have no idea where this is coming from. I don't think that anyone has suggested anything of the kind.

I'm hoping that their reporting is one tool amongst many that we can use to help educate ourselves on who should be voted for.

Eric

Just a thought here...

Just curious...

JD

Sure they are educational. They are also profit driven... I mean, unless The Baron of BBQ is donating all of his profits back to the KCBS... I sure wouldn't hold my breath on that.... :eek:

This year, Paul made a motion that anyone who writes for the Bullsheet should get free advertising for their cooking classes.

Feb 2009 said:
A motion was approved for KCBS end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge, to be effective April 1, 2009.

Rod Gray, abstain
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, abstain
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
5 yes, 4 no 2 abstentions, the motion passes.

March 2009 said:
From Agenda: Motion by Paul Kirk: I am proposing a motion that Board of Directors and members that contribute articles to the Bull Sheet on a regular basis receive their family dues free for their services and use the services of the Bull sheet as in listing classes for their contributions to such publications.

From Board meeting: The Board stayed the charging an advertising fee for posting of cooking classes until the editorial and publication policy is completed.

Putting on judging classes is education, yes, but we've known for years that we're putting on CBJ classes. Question is, what NEW things have been brought to the table? What NEW ideas do we have to promote barbeque and educate both the general public AND our members? We should expect more than just judging classes, which I would be surprised if it even falls under education.

You got that info faster than I......haha so tell us whatelse happen?

Wasn't much exciting except for the ancillary non-disclosure thing (see my new thread). I will post another thread as well because it doesn't apply here.

Back