Aging peppers

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm intersted in making my own hot sauce.....anyone know how to properly age peppers?:confused:

I love chilis and have no idea how to age peppers. I assume you would probably want to barrel age like Tabasco, I do not know if hot sauce improves in the bottle like fine wine. I do know BBQ sauce does not, I have a recently purchased and very much exploded bottle of Pit Bull BBQ sauce that proves that out.

for a basic hot sauce I know you need to blanch the peppers in a vinegar and water mixture at a minimum. My hot sauce usually can make it a year.

try hotsauceblog.com, chilipepper.com and fieryfoods.com and see if you can get some help there.

Keep an eye on the food channel. Occasionally they run a show that includes how either Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce is made. I *think* it is aged for one year.

I prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce to Tabasco. It's a fine line for many but I am always highly impressed by BBQ joints that offer both.

Anyway, I've noticed a difference between Louisana Hot Sauce and off brand versions: the number of ingredients. LH is very simple - peppers, vinegar, salt. Some of the cheapies have long words I can't spell....

It seems like in the show I mentioned they put the peppers in an oak barrel with salt on top, let it sit for a year, and then add the vinegar. I could be wrong though.

Finally found some info on the net, after sifting through countless pages of "The Red Hot Chili Peppers" and how peppers affect aging..... Anyway.....place peppers in a non reactive container, about 2 pounds worth, 3 or 4 tablespoons of pickling salt and cover with white vinegar......let set for at least 3 months and check for mold often.

jpw23 said:
I'm intersted in making my own hot sauce.....anyone know how to properly age peppers?:confused:

Mine are dehydrated in the Bandera then made into sauce in a blender. Tomato, onion, garlic are optional.

I kinda like Frank's Hot Sauce....( wow....that sounds a bit queer ) Simple ingredients, good flavor, not too overly hot.

Back