Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

If this would have been the first post on page one then the subsequent 12 pages would not have been necessary...

LMAO even I had to go back and find what this thread was all about. It wasn't about the tri level rub so much as our friend George Clinton.

when you said "next thirteen pages" I was trying to find a spelling for the sound you make when you laugh so hard you snort through your nose.

LOL

Wax On, Wax Off...

Pat Moriarity Mod

This is great, I gotta go get a brisket soon like.

I bet if this had all been straight talk and unfunky, I may not have tried so hard to pay attention and lost some of what I needed to know.

Doc, looks good!

LMAO even I had to go back and find what this thread was all about. It wasn't about the tri level rub so much as our friend George Clinton.

when you said "next thirteen pages" I was trying to find a spelling for the sound you make when you laugh so hard you snort through your nose.

LOL

Wax On, Wax Off...

Pat Moriarity Mod

I think I speak for a bunch of us...we'd rather see the video.

Ahhhh I fighred out where I went wrong.

The cut I posted above recieved a second dose of pepper. It was a part of the full brisket and as I was preping it fell off, I then hit it with pepper again while doing the rest of the brisket. OPERATOR ERROR on my part. The rest of the brisket came out excellent.

Funk- I only fresh cracked pepper :cool:

Dr KY,
That's a nice piece of beef you got there.
Looks like I'll be firing up the pit very soon.
I hope mine turns out that nice.
jon

But then this thread wouldn't have been so funky!:biggrin:

you can't stop the funk. :cool:

ahhh yes but look at the journey we took and what we have learned from each other. See, by making things ridiculously complex we tend to try to understand it more. Simple recipes on a sheet of paper don't really scream out to me to be made.

I for one, know I have been wanting to get more consistent with my brisket. Jeff S. had me thinkin' back to the core of this last year... and this thread is the basis for a whole new re-mix. :icon_devil
I'm coming back live with no click track!!!! Soul Power - just for you.

Final Exam

So . . . if one wanted to put this 3 layer technique into practice

1st layer (Fine Salts Carrier pulling the next layer.)
2nd layer is Signature Flavor (Granulates, powders, low salt rubs)
3rd layer is large grains (pushing the two other layers flavor in sort of

with, for example, the following list if ingredients

Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
kosher salt
garlic powder
onion powder
coarse black pepper

Would the proper order of application be as follows?

Layer One
Lawry’s Seasoning Salt

Layer Two
garlic powder
onion powder

Layer Three ("scuffed" in) :biggrin:
coarse black pepper
kosher salt

Or in this case would it be best to omit the Lawry's and just go with Layers 2 and 3?

Great thread, by the way.

Dave

If the garlic and onion powders have salt in them, you might omit the seasoning salt or it might get too salty(Is that possible?) . IMHO
My next attempt will be seasoning salt, then fresh garlic and onion, then pepper and salt.
My briskets are getting a lot better after this thread.
jon

So . . . if one wanted to put this 3 layer technique into practice

with, for example, the following list if ingredients

Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
kosher salt
garlic powder
onion powder
coarse black pepper

Would the proper order of application be as follows?

Layer One
Lawry’s Seasoning Salt

Layer Two
garlic powder
onion powder

Layer Three ("scuffed" in) :biggrin:
coarse black pepper
kosher salt

Or in this case would it be best to omit the Lawry's and just go with Layers 2 and 3?

Great thread, by the way.

Dave

I would eliminate the Kosher salt on the last level.

Good news & bad news

This thread has changed my life.

Donnie – you are my new favorite Brethren. (Sorry Neil, but you didn't return my call last weekend...)

I only had time to read the first 4 pages before starting my Easter brisket on the UUDS™. After only 4 pages it was still the best brisket I have ever made. (My Mom was moved to tears. She told me she hadn't tasted anything like that since she was a little girl in Houston, attending BBQs with her uncle at the Texas Cattleman's Club just after WWII) Imagine how much better it might be after I read the entire thread... This remarkable transformation of flavor can be summarized thusly:

Simplify. And add salt.

Testing my understanding of that philosophy, Sunday's brisket was rubbed with only two things: Lawry's & Monterey steak seasoning.

Following Donnie's demo – the fine-grained Lawry's went on first. Lot's of it. More than I've ever used. More than I would have believed necessary. Then I rubbed it in. (Never really did that before. Always just kinda sprinkled it evenly.) Following that, it got a generous – somewhat less vigorous – rubbing of MSS.

At foiling time I thought I'd ruined it. Pulled off a little taste – as I'm apt to do – and felt like I had the entire Bonneville salt flats in my mouth. Yuck. But knowing the cook was not over and that I don't want to have Easter at my house again next year, I proceeded normally. Ah but it wasn't normal. It was BETTER than normal. It was glorious. It was juicy. It was bitchen. My best brisket ever.

So it looks like we will be having Easter here again next year.

Thanks Donnie.

Sunday's brisket was rubbed with only two things: Lawry's & Monterey steak seasoning.
Whoops – almost forgot – I also covered the top of the brisket with four fresh onions worth of slices. Think that idea came from another thread.

What I take away from this is that competition BBQ is schizophrenic.

Here goes... BBQ has an initial accepted, conservative definition. The envelope is then pushed by some who refuse to be defined by convention (Prince), which is received with great acceptance, except for the purists (Industry).

Here's where I get confused...Does the new guard (Prince) become the old guard (Prince 2.0) by going back to the original convention once proving that the new convention worked? Or once the envelope bursts because of unskilled cooks seeking glory instead of purity (Prince Thieves) polluting the air with continual over tweaking, the purist (Ray Charles) is back in vogue? Or is it both. I was kind of lost on the innovation of Prince and then the stripping away all of the new innovations to take it back.

If either are true, then the only relevant standard in BBQ is what tickles the tongue "Right Now". If the old school "sound" is what is hip, then that is what you roll with. When that sound becomes passe, then you better start innovating (tweaking). At some point the tweaking also becomes passe and what was old is now new again.

Looking back through the history of KCBS comp BBQ (the only history I'm really versed in) there are many signs o the times (Did you see what I did there?) that had their day, but were more a flash in the pan.

Here's what I think... for what it is worth. Good is good. Complex and simple can both be good and work at a competition. You catch the timing right with either direction and you could walk away a hero. It is like an artist who was either ahead of their time... or behind. A strong foundation of your craft is key whether you are a pitmaster or a funkmaster. I'll be doing a S&P brisket soon to exercise my skills and bring it back.
I must confess my knowledge of Funk is limited and I've always considered my self a traditionalist and growing up in the 50's and 60's tradition to me is rhythm and blues and rock and roll. That being said I have kept every tie I've ever owned and some of the old ones I have recently worn. However, I never kept my leisure suits and bell bottoms.:lol:
Enjoyed this thread immencely.

I must confess my knowledge of Funk is limited and I've always considered my self a traditionalist and growing up in the 50's and 60's tradition to me is rhythm and blues and rock and roll. That being said I have kept every tie I've ever owned and some of the old ones I have recently worn. However, I never kept my leisure suits and bell bottoms.:lol:
Enjoyed this thread immencely.

As a child I wore those polyester suits but at about 36 (YEAR 2000?) I bought a vintage one to wear as a salesman to compete with another salesman (who was 80 and wore these suits everyday) He was a top seller with his polyester sunburst paisley suits. Sold circles around me... I was forever the number 2 salesperson because of him.

These suits are HOT to wear. My God they don't breathe! I wore a PINE green double breasted one with Shamrock Buttons.

I wish... Plus... somebody threw it away when I took it off and left it there... or stole it LOL

I was out of 15 bucks

good read and I know my brisket has improved a good bit since using the basic tri level rub

I read this thread a year or so ago. Haven't been satisfied with my cooking of late - my friends like it but I was feeling like an angry Joe Ely banging out "Gallo del Cielo" for the thousandth time. Found this thread again while searching the brethren for "Walter Jetton". Getting back to my roots and away from techniques.

Back