Long time backyard BBQer in MA looking to make jump to Competition

$billBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello
I have been BBQing for over 15 years & now I'm ready to take the jump and try a competition. I have signed up for KCBS BBQ Contest @ Harvard Fall Festival. Will any one be at this event or give a newbie some tips. My 1st search is to find a Prime grade Brisket in MA (Only been able to find Choice so far).

THanks -

$bill, I've only one a couple, but I'll try and give you some tips as a somewhat newbie myself.

1. Have plenty of coolers. Make sure you can seperate your meat, your parsley (hopefully with stems sitting in water to keep fresh), and plenty of drinks.

2. Do NOT get impatient. I kept sitting there in the darkness tending to the COS (which doesn't let you sleep AT all) and kept deciding to put meat on a "little" early because nothing was happening. Put in on when you need, pull it of when it's done.

3. You should visit the NEBS site to find other competitions when you're infected with the competition flu www.nebs.org :-D

4. Have a trailer, RV, or easy-up. You need some shelter other then an umbrella.

5. Finally, for your first competition, it may not be prudent to spend that extra cash on a prime brisket as it's very likely you won't be in contention for anything your first few comps. Just pick out a nice choice one.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

TF

Sign up for a judging class (schedule on nebs.org), it's easier if you know what judges are being told to look for.

If you want to cook a prime brisket DO IT. If you have a restaurant Depot near you they have CAB Prime for not alot of money, next is creekstone farms on the internet also prime. Your best way is to make friends with the local butcher who can get anything at a distributer.

Make a time line, and stick to it! if you using those white plastic folding chairs make extension so there closer to counter height... save your back during the prepping. Most important is to HAVE FUN

Back