Brisket Advice Needed - cook on Sat serve on Sun

agree with wayne. 3 briskets wrapped and cooler will easily hold for 8-10 hours. Never said to hold for 12 hours witha heat source. Recommended JGH adjust his start time so meats come out after midnight or later to reduce hold time ...so now hes starting at 3pm. If hes doing packer cuts, hes lookin at 10-12 hours cook time. If they come out 3am,,... with a good cooler, I'm sure he can safely cooler them without temps dropping below 140. Just needs a good cooler... no old styrofoam 7/11 special.

Jim;

I'm with you. It's safer and less hassle to chill the brisket and then handle it safely and quickly for serving.

I'm doing five briskets and chicken for 65 in May and my plan is to rub the brisket Thursday, cook, slice, sauce and pan it up on Friday and then chill it. I'll be grilling the chicken halves on Saturday and only want to have to reheat the brisket and serve it.

Now, I've got refer space for the brisket - that might not be the case for everyone.

Just my $.02 worth.

PS: I've done this same routine for the past two 4th of July celebrations for 200 and 400 people. I haven't poisoned anyone and haven't wasted any beef.

DFLittle said:
Jim;

I'm with you. It's safer and less hassle to chill the brisket and then handle it safely and quickly for serving.

I'm doing five briskets and chicken for 65 in May and my plan is to rub the brisket Thursday, cook, slice, sauce and pan it up on Friday and then chill it. I'll be grilling the chicken halves on Saturday and only want to have to reheat the brisket and serve it.

PS: I've done this same routine for the past two 4th of July celebrations for 200 and 400 people. I haven't poisoned anyone and haven't wasted any beef.

The difference here is your serving the next day, JG is serving the same day. if ya Gotta hold for more than 12hours, i would go with chilling it. but hes lookin at a 8-10 hour hold.

Just keep it hot or cold - in between is not good.

Phil
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought he was pulling it off at 8pm Sat and serving Sunday afternoon.

Wayne
Your cooking method isn't classsic brisket I'm not saying it's bad but there is a difference between reheating and holding meat in liquid for 18 hours. The texture is not the same.

he was... but i recommended he push start times to later in the day so they come off after midnight. if he pulls at 2-3am, then he can hold in a cooler till 11 or noon. if it needs a push because temps are getting near 140, a few moinutes in a warm oven just to re-establish the heat load will get him to noon.

I'm going to get a new cooler for holding my meat (get your minds out of the gutter!). We have one at work that I believe is made by Igloo that's supposed to keep cold for up to five days without adding more ice. It's GOTTA be better insulated and thus would hold heat longer for foiled meat...

Went to sams tonight to buy the briskets and butts. Out of butts completely and all the briskets were 10lbs and stiff as boards, could not bend them hardly at all. Ended up going to HEB and they at severl 13 pounders that bent tip to tip with ease and the flats were fairly thick. The had Butts for 99cents. So that is 2 13 lbs briskets, 2 11lb butts and 4 4lb chickens.

The chickens will be brined Friday and cooked saturday AM and chilled. The butts will be brined as well.

I sincerely appreciate all the discussion on this topic.

Classic-Schmassic

jminion said:
Wayne
Your cooking method isn't classsic brisket I'm not saying it's bad but there is a difference between reheating and holding meat in liquid for 18 hours. The texture is not the same.

Of course the texture is different. I usually serve it shreded or sliced about 1/2 inch thick. It fact it really wants to be shredded. My family loves it and demands it when I fix beef. It also fits his schedule if he does not want to cook all night. However, I would never serve anything to a big group that I had not perfected with a few test cook offs. In reality he should probably fix it the same way that he has in the past and try all the suggestions with smaller batches and a less critical group of dinners.

I plan to fix a more classic brisket this weekend. When I cook it I will start in the morning and cook it to tenderness like was mentioned earlier, and we will simply eat it when it is done.

Chopped beef brisket is a classic sandwich. Usually made from trimmings or brisket that is being carried over to the next day. Wayne, your technique sounds similar.

jgh1204 said:
Chopped beef brisket is a classic sandwich. Usually made from trimmings or brisket that is being carried over to the next day. Wayne, your technique sounds similar.

It is similar because it is exxentially the same thing. I just use the whole brisket. Normally I do this when serving a lot of people or I plan to freeze most of it for future use. I also fix it when we decide on a week night to have BBQ the next evening. That way I can cook it in the smoker all evening and then put the brisket in the oven at midnight and serve it the next evening after I get home from work.

I don't care what you all say, I'm hungry for brisket NOW! Happens everytime I read one of these threads.

The chickens were done this morning. Put two 11lb pork butts on at 11:30 and 2 13lb briskets on at 2. Everything looking good so far.

Final report.

On Friday night, brined the chickens and butts. Used a solution of 1/4 sea salt, 1/8 cup lite soy sauce, garlic powder and onion powder to 2 quarts water. The all went into the brine about 6 PM.

The chickens went on at 9 AM, at 250 degrees with hickory chunks in the smoke box. They reached 155 degrees at about 11 AM. I put them in a large roasting pan under foil for another 30 minutes, bagged them and put them into the refrigerator.

Pork butts went on at 11:30AM at 200 degrees again with hickory chunks. They reached 160 at about 9 PM. Put them into a large foil pan, covered tightly with foil and put them back on. The reached 200 degrees at 11:30 PM. I took them out of the pan, foiled them put them in a towel lined cooler. At 1:30 AM, I removed them, let set 45 minutes and then pulled them. Surprisingly very little fat. Bagged the pork and put into the refrigerator.

We ended up going with just 2 briskets. I could not fit 3 with the pork roasts. I put them in the smoker with the pork butts at 2 PM. The briskets reached 160 at 11PM. I put them each into their own foil pan and covered tightly with foil. They hit 180 at about 1:30 AM and were tender at 2 AM. One was at 200 degrees the other was about 195. I took them out of the pans, wrapped tightly with foil and placed them into the same cooler the pork butts came out of. It was still warm from the pork.

Went to sleep at 3 AM. Woke up at 7:15, loaded up the family and drove to McAllen which is about 45 minutes away. We put the pork and the chickens into the oven to re-heat. Put the briskets into a roaster oven on lowest setting. This was about 9:15AM this morning. The brisket was still too hot to handle without oven mitts.

We were back from the church around 11AM. Sliced everything up. Have to say, it was probably the best brisket I have done yet. The pork roast was great and the chicken was also some of the best I have done. Went with fryers this time and I think that helped.

The briskets were great, very small amount of fat for a packer. I am guessing we had at least 30 lbs of cooked meat after trimming. The final head count for lunch was 30 and we probably had at least twice as much meat as we needed.

I made up a double recipe of my quick beans ala charra(see recipe section) and left out the japs for the kiddos and the guests from South Dakota. We put about 2 cups of the brisket juice and some of the meat trimmings into the beans. The beans were a big hit. I am sure people will be thinking about those all night. :)

Once again, thanks for all the advice. Being able to do the bbq was a huge help to my friends as they had lots of family coming in and that was one less thing they had to worry about. I think coolering the brisket and keeping it hot made a big difference in the serving quality. Plus, I was able to do everything for less than $100 which saved them lots of $$$$.

Well, I am dozing off as I type. If I remember anything else, I will add it later.

jgh
I'mglad everything worked out well. One thing to think about when cooling meat by foiling or bagging before cooling it causes the cooling to take too long. Leaving it uncovered until cooled is the safest way to handle that process.

What a great thread! I'm facing a similar dilemma on Easter at realtives house. I promised a brisket for Sunday afternoon at 5, and after messing with a rack of ribs last weekend in the highly exotic Brinkmann Cook and Carry, I'm a little convinced that I won't be able to finish off a brisket on Sunday.

So, I'm thinking of smoking it Saturday - get it up to about 180, then cooler it sometime around 9:00 Saturday night. On Sunday, I'd go through the reheatihng process - although I'm a little confused about the best way to do that. I could easily bring my Cook and N Carry with me and reheat it in the smoker, or just set his gas grill on low and heat it up slowly that way.

I REALLY like the idea of dousing it with a good porter when I foil it! Think I read that in a different thread.

Some much knowledge, so little time to try it all!

Scott

Back