chrome racks?

Smokin' Aces

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
can someone help me i have chrome racks and was wondering if i can use them for cooking rack in the bbq

I hope I didn't misunderstand your question but I have 2 Webers...both with chrome racks...meat cooks just fine. However...I have noticed that vertically discharged waste is somewhat shiny and flows like it's riding on greasy ball bearings...which I guess is okay.

Hope this helps.

ahhh Yeah Weber been selling them for years so has GE, Kenmore , Roper, Whirpool. you get the Idea

If recycled from an oven or a grill, they are fine. If from a refrigerator, they may be plated with cadmium.
From an EPA report,
"A cadmium-plated refrigerator shelf, used as a barbecue grill, apparently poisoned a family, two adults and two children, in Syracuse, N.Y. After eating steaks grilled on the shelf, all exhibited symptoms--headache, nausea, and vomiting--associated with chemical intoxication. All the patients recovered. As ingestion of cadmium rarely causes death whereas inhalation often does, it is believed the poison was ingested rather than inhaled. To the knowledge of the authors, cadmium poisoning under these circumstances has not previously been reported. "
http://hero.epa.gov/index.cfm?action=reference.details&reference_id=184410

if you burn them off over very high heat and then clean them up you should be ok. you see folks using stuff like that all over and they seem just fine. but again I think the secret is to burn them off first.

Racks

if you burn them off over very high heat and then clean them up you should be ok. you see folks using stuff like that all over and they seem just fine. but again I think the secret is to burn them off first.

Fark that...you go first! Ha ha :yuck:

I would heat them up with a weed burner torch and then never look back. Any baddies on them will be burned off if you get them hot enough with the torch or laid over a good log fire for a while. You would probably get more contaminants out of a hot dog than from the grates after heating them up real good. Just my opinion,

Blessings,
Omar

There is a difference between chrome and stainless steel that has a high chromium level in the alloy. Stainless with a lot of chromium in it is very shiny and is fine to cook on. True chrome is only an electroplated shiny finish that can flake off when and if heated. I personally wouldn't want to eat it (the flakes that is).

Back