He's Back! And he's Boared

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been off the site for about 3 weeks moving into a new home (divorce mod). It's all good - a mile and half from the kids, which is the most important thing,and the SKD made the trip with me.

This weekend, I'm loading her up for a trip into the deep woods of Maine with a bunch of buddies. One of 'em has a camp on a lake and it'll be poker, beer and Q all weekend long.

Just got an e-mail from one of the guys who says he is bringing a piece of wild boar to throw in the smoker. I have no idea what cut it is, so I'm going to have to wing it. Do I treat it like pork? Or should I mariante, slap some bacon on it??

I'm guess a few of the guys will never remember wheter it came out well or not, but I'd at least like to give it the old college try!! Any advise??

Scott

Hey Scott, glad to hear you are getting settled in there, and glad to see you back on the board.

About your wild boar. I think you should be prepared to add fat, and maybe to marinate in a red wine/red wine vinegar marinade, or to brine for a day or so. Some of the "wild boar" I have seen has been from mature animals, and can be hard to cook tender. Of course if it is a boar, as in a male, it will be un-castrated and the flavor of the meat is quite different from domestic pork.
However, a lot of the wild hogs we get here in Fla. are almost as fat and happy as a farm-raised animal, and cook much like the stuff that get's picked off the cryovac tree at Sam's:-D
When you get your hands on it you will be able to judge leaness, etc.
Not knowing, I would say give it some slow smoke, then get it foiled in time to let the foil tame the tenderness for you. My 2 cents.

Welcome back, Scott, and congrats on your new home/life.
I'm jealous about your upcoming weekend up in Maine. Enjoy!!

Re: the boar, I've smoked wild boar once and it is lean enough that it needs special attention. Definitely brine and/or inject, then keep it moist. Good luck!

Arlin

Arlin_MacRae said:
Welcome back, Scott, and congrats on your new home/life.
I'm jealous about your upcoming weekend up in Maine. Enjoy!!

I'm jealous about your divorce! :shock: :lol: Welcome back!

Jeff_in_KC said:
I'm jealous about your divorce! :shock: :lol: Welcome back!

I'll be sure to tell your wife that if I see you all at the AR in a week.....
Marital property? There went half your play toys.........

Solidkick said:
I'll be sure to tell your wife that if I see you all at the AR in a week.....
Marital property? There went half your play toys.........

Hehehe! Too late! I already told her, Kick! Saturday! I'm just havin' a little fun! But you'd tell her? You'd do that? For me? Thanks buddy! You're a good friend! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Let's see... what to send her way... I'll let her have the gas grill. I don't care for it anyway. Most of the rest of my toys, she wouldn't care about. :lol:

Welcome back Scott,

See if you can find a larding needle for that boar, and lard it with bacon if you can't find the needle no problem then just use a thin blade knife and do the same thing. Brine it but add red wine and honey for 12 hours then smoke.

scottm4300 said:
.............It's all good - a mile and half from the kids, which is the most important thing,and the SKD made the trip with me.

...........it'll be poker, beer and Q all weekend long.

Scott

I prefer to look on the bright side of things. Good luck Scott.

Last edited:
Jeff_in_KC said:
Hehehe! Too late! I already told her, Kick! Saturday! I'm just havin' a little fun! But you'd tell her? You'd do that? For me? Thanks buddy! You're a good friend! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Let's see... what to send her way... I'll let her have the gas grill. I don't care for it anyway. Most of the rest of my toys, she wouldn't care about. :lol:

It doesn't matter if it is something that she wants or not, she will ask for it, and you will have to give it up. Period.

Careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Back