Get them ishs in line

Question
Prize Money and Entry Fees are both going up
In the west we have a semi standard set up of
$150 ish for less than $5000 prize money
$300 ish for more than $10,000 ish

Would you go $450 ish at $30,000 ish?
Get them ishs in line

No that's scary. Pine Bluff is doing 50K with a $300 entry fee. $300 is probably my limit and I wouldn't do many at that price. Of course if the contest was local to me that might be a different story....

The entry fee for Pine Bluff, AR last summer was $300. Prize money was $50,000. It drew 108 teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
No that's scary. Pine Bluff is doing 50K with a $300 entry fee. $300 is probably my limit and I wouldn't do many at that price. Of course if the contest was local to me that might be a different story....

Wanna sell that Lake Placid entry? ;-)

The Great American depends on lot size, but a 25x50 is $290 for $17,500 in prize money. I don't think 300 for a 10000 contest would draw very well around here, but you California folks are all rich.

Thom,

You do that in Fresno and I am so there. You do that in your neck of the woods, I'll have to think about it and convince my team to come along. Of course, if I did, then I would have to cut out another contest from my list. Of course, if I won, then I would be able to compete in additional comps.

The Great American depends on lot size, but a 25x50 is $290 for $17,500 in prize money. I don't think 300 for a 10000 contest would draw very well around here, but you California folks are all rich.

Yeah, we rich folks are spoiled. Our comps are beautiful with sunny temps in the 70's and cool beach breezes.8) That's why we pay what we pay.:shock:

That's exactly how it was in Victorville in June.

Not.

If I felt i had a decent chance of recouping my expenses, I'd pay higher entry fees.

If I felt i had a decent chance of recouping my expenses, I'd pay higher entry fees.

Coming from the MAN who won the Jack. :icon_blush:
Calcutta brother, calcutta. That is how little guys like me is going to get some money back.

I signed up for the Great American as a newbie, but because of the size and reputation of hte event. Had nothing to do with the extended purse. I mkae no assumptions I will take GC, but will of course do my very best to try and win it. For a smaller contest, there is no way I would pay that much money. I look at the GAB as similar to the AR in a way, it is a chance for me to see how I stack up against many of the top teams in the country.

Coming from the MAN who won the Jack. :icon_blush:
Calcutta brother, calcutta. That is how little guys like me is going to get some money back.

Sounds like he's wanting a handicap doesn't it Dale?

Calcutta might be the way to go and while I'd never be able to buy Podge, I did get to hold his jugs at the awards in Lynchburg. Wait a minute......that didn't sound right did it?:oops:

You got that right Jim. Poor Podge, claimed he made a bad brisket. HA! Setting us up.

Its gonna be a fun year.

I think going to $450 would exclude alot of folks. Esp. ones that travel. I know my gas bill per contest has doubled in the last two years. If we hit $4.00/Gal -- you will see that increase by 50% again. All the other things you need (meat, garnish, etc) are all going to be incrementally more expensive also. I think another $150 in the entry fee would put it out of reach for a lot of folks.

Most I ever paid to enter any contest was $225.

Sorry, but I can cook many TGCBCA and IBCA contest in $100...$150.
dollar range for entry fees...

Im one team that would rather cook more contest (=s more fun).:-D..than
paying out a bundle just to cook one or two contest.:roll:...no matter what
the prize payout is...

Back