Wow, 3 comment cards at Wildwood!

slowerlowerbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After reading jbrink's thread about his positive comment card it reminded me to post about our experience at Wildwood, NJ last week. We were totally shocked when we got our score sheet and there were actually 3 (!) comment cards. And all 3 were very helpful. One of the judges, after scoring our ribs 989, made the comment "Would have been 3-9s but it was salty. Nice Job." Another judge also made a comment about our salty ribs (I guess you know how we're going to adjust). The 3rd judge commented about too much sauce on our pork and gave positive feedback about our appearance and texture.

To those 3 judges, I say THANK YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap:

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for from judges and please know that us cooks, especially those of us that dont compete a lot, truly appreciate the extra effort in sending in these cards.

After reading jbrink's thread about his positive comment card it reminded me to post about our experience at Wildwood, NJ last week. We were totally shocked when we got our score sheet and there were actually 3 (!) comment cards. And all 3 were very helpful. One of the judges, after scoring our ribs 989, made the comment "Would have been 3-9s but it was salty. Nice Job." Another judge also made a comment about our salty ribs (I guess you know how we're going to adjust). The 3rd judge commented about too much sauce on our pork and gave positive feedback about our appearance and texture.

To those 3 judges, I say THANK YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap:

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for from judges and please know that us cooks, especially those of us that don't compete a lot, truly appreciate the extra effort in sending in these cards.

Not everyone can take guidance with a positive attitude - if you can, as you demonstrated, you will obviously do well and improve you product.

I also thought it was fitting that Alison won the "Butch Lupinetti" award there in Wildwood as he was her father. He passed away 2 years ago when they were on vacation in Pompeii. He taught me how to smoke, but more importantly, how to enjoy the task as you are doing it.

Wow, they must have tasted like a salt block!! (I kid). I'm not sure after giving a cook a 9-8-9 I would have thought about also giving a card...
Good on that judge for taking the time to help improve your game.
Most thought process is give a card for a less than stellar score.
Ed

Wait until the next contest, they will say "not salty enough" and "not enough sauce" HAHA..

As a judge, this comment pisses me off. I understand that you point if you feel there is a lack of consistency in judging, but if the comments I provide as a judge (and I do provide comments for any scores 6 or under) are going to be mocked and used against the judging community what is my motivation for providing a comment card?

I also received a good comment card at Wildwood. I don't think I ever received a positive one before. I will definitly make an effort to do the same when I judge at Belair next month. I really appreciated the positive feedback.

So can you tell me about the three judges? What's their judging experience? Do they smoke? Male? Female? How old are they? Do they have a cook team?

Every now and then a comment card could reinforce what you are already thinking and it can help you make a change you have been on the fence about. I personally don't think it would be wise to change anything over one card. No offense to judges but I normally throw the comment cards out and take my advice from that days actual scores after analyzing them at home along with the past three contests scores.

Wait until the next contest, they will say "not salty enough" and "not enough sauce" HAHA..

If you're competing at the Westfair Comp in Council Bluffs next weekend you might get a comment card from me.... I really hope you appreciate it. I'll try to be as honest, courteous and informative as I can. Cheers!!!

As a judge, this comment pisses me off. I understand that you point if you feel there is a lack of consistency in judging, but if the comments I provide as a judge (and I do provide comments for any scores 6 or under) are going to be mocked and used against the judging community what is my motivation for providing a comment card?
Note that he ended his post with "HAHA." I wouldn't get too insulted by it or read too much into it.

Cvath, I agree with your comments...hopefully BRBBQ was just being cynical and trying to make a funny. I hope this doesn't temper your willingness to provide a cook team honest, constructive feedback.

We're a pretty new team and have only rec'd two comment cards, both honest and helpful. I, as a judge have given comment cards for low scoring entries and high scoring. To me it's just as important to give feedback for good and not-so-good entries. It's that last help that may get you from an 8 to a 9.

I too have been guilty of being cynical or critical of judges, but I certainly appreciate them and encourage them to write comment cards anytime they feel the need!

So can you tell me about the three judges? What's their judging experience? Do they smoke? Male? Female? How old are they? Do they have a cook team?

Every now and then a comment card could reinforce what you are already thinking and it can help you make a change you have been on the fence about. I personally don't think it would be wise to change anything over one card. No offense to judges but I normally throw the comment cards out and take my advice from that days actual scores after analyzing them at home along with the past three contests scores.

Well, 2 out of 6 judges thought enough to comment on the saltiness of our ribs and we may adjust for this. I really like salty food and sometimes worry others may not agree. We'll most likely just temper that slightly and not too much. As for the pork comment about the sauce, I was thinking the same thing as I was prepping the box as our sauce stayed on the smoker too long and thickened up too much. Live and learn, all 3 of these comments were really helpful and appreciated.

Wow, they must have tasted like a salt block!! (I kid). I'm not sure after giving a cook a 9-8-9 I would have thought about also giving a card...
Good on that judge for taking the time to help improve your game.
Most thought process is give a card for a less than stellar score.
Ed

Why is it that cards never come out for 6·s

At least on the West Coast, that could be due to reps telling the judges that a score of 7-9 indicates the quality of the meat, making comment cards unnecessary. They also suggest that comment cards be given scores under 6. I don't follow this advice, but that's what we're hearing out here.

I think comment cards should be mandatory. That is the very least the judges could do for cook teams. We spend thousands of dollars competing and can't even get a comment card what a joke. To the offended judge the guy was playing around lighten up.

The poor guy next to me in Norman OK received a few 5's for taste and tenderness on his brisket and not one comment card. That just seems wrong to me. It was his 1st KCBS and now he left not knowing what they didnt like.

Back