• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini WSM Extended

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I present for your approval the MINI WSM Extended

I'm assembling mine tonight, did anyone keep the steamer pot lid?

I'm no engineer, but after I cut out the bottom I was wondering about a double stacked mini WSM.... I put the lid on the bottom, the steamer pot fits nicely upon the lid! So I will cut a hole in the lid to match the second steamer pot bottom hole as use the lid as a support ring for the top pot!

The lid fits the top of the bottom pot very well as it should, and the top pot will cradle right into the top of the lid. A 12 in hole in the lid and the top pot should allow all the heat and smoke up without restriction, so I think I have a plan.....

If you have your lid take a look and see if you agree?

Took almost a month to get my plan from above in the works, but I'm confidant it will work out great.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 721
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 708
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
That's definetly interesting, have you used it yet? I'm just wondering how well it will get heat all the way up to the top. Looking forward to hear how it works.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Now that's a mini magnum! Nice idea! Interested to hear how it cooks. Definitely no need for a diffuser on that one :). How many cooking grates are you going to mount? You making a charcoal basket?

Forgot to mention you might want to build a WSM style fire ring, or a UDS style fire basket to keep the coals off the sides.

Haven't fired it up yet!

Basket - on the grass next to it - should be fine I hope!

Wobbley - not really - I screwed the lid the the bottoms which added a lot of stability

I'm thinking of going three high, 2 grates each - with the option of placing a grate at the steamer rim for a total of 8

To brace the SJG legs I'm considering some 1/2" emt with the leg bracket going through the center of the emt

I have a dozen 9x9 ABT racks and think this will finally make enought ABT's at a time to please an average group

I'm kinda lost here. Two steamer pots. Cut the bottom out of both. Attach one to the other via rivets for stability? And what lid is screw to what? I really like the idea, though if I did it, I'd want them to detachable so I could single or double as the job called for. It would work great, I think, for smoking homemade sausage and hotdogs. I don't need super high heat for that, just smoke and get the dogs to 150F or so to finish.

Stability would be a concern. Am I mistaken about a mini-wsm will disassemble back into a Smokey Joe for grilling? Once you convert it to the mini-wsm it is dedicated to that? Regardless, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this smokes.

I'm kinda lost here. Two steamer pots. Cut the bottom out of both. Attach one to the other via rivets for stability? And what lid is screw to what? I really like the idea, though if I did it, I'd want them to detachable so I could single or double as the job called for. It would work great, I think, for smoking homemade sausage and hotdogs. I don't need super high heat for that, just smoke and get the dogs to 150F or so to finish.

Stability would be a concern. Am I mistaken about a mini-wsm will disassemble back into a Smokey Joe for grilling? Once you convert it to the mini-wsm it is dedicated to that? Regardless, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this smokes.
Yes both pots have the bottom cut out, the lid that comes with it is screwed to the bottom of one pot with the center cut out. Once the lid is attached you put it on top of the other one, thus doubling the capacity. The pot comes off and you are back to a regular grill, a 2 for one:clap: and yes you can configure it how ever you want:biggrin1: and yes it is stable.

Tatoosh - i'll get some better pics for you - since I got the third pot tonight
But yes all of them are separate and yet stable....

Reinforce the legs. They're not engineered to take the kind of weight you could possibly load that thing with.

I was thinking of running the stock leg up through a section of emt so that three sections of emt would Support the bottom of the kettle and still have the stock portability. So emt from the kettle leg attachment to the ground

Haven't fired it up yet!

Basket - on the grass next to it - should be fine I hope!

Wobbley - not really - I screwed the lid the the bottoms which added a lot of stability

I'm thinking of going three high, 2 grates each - with the option of placing a grate at the steamer rim for a total of 8

To brace the SJG legs I'm considering some 1/2" emt with the leg bracket going through the center of the emt

I have a dozen 9x9 ABT racks and think this will finally make enought ABT's at a time to please an average group

How tall is the expanded steel for your basket; are you using the charcoal grate from your sjg & running the basket up to the bottom of the cooking grate? Thx.

Back