Winter Smoking

AMoore

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I received my Stoker unit and blower 2 weeks ago and I have had 2 burns with it (pork butt and a brisket) and I have had great success in the cold weather of Iowa. I don't have to build a UDS afterall. YAY However, I want what I have to be better. I have a Char-Griller with SFB and it leaks like a siv. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to seal around my lid so a lot of the smoke and heat doesn't leak out? Also, are there any ideas about a blanket to put over top of the grill (not the SFB) that I don't have to worry about catching on fire but it will keep in the heat. I will be smoking in tempuratures of 10 degrees or colder and want the best results I can get. DON'T WE ALL??? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and recommendations.

Foil ? I used to use it for my elcheapo offset I had to seal up doors. welders blanket to keep the heat in? I seen on some show that a guy used a water heater blanket to keep heat in a WSM, maybe that would work.

Mike has a bunch of good suggestions, however if you put a welders' blanket over the fire box make double-damn-sure that you don't have ANY plastic under the blanket & that you use gloves when you grab hold of that metal handle. Don't ask how I know these things :redface:.

Back