Carolina Style Sauce

Ringburner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all

I've always eaten mollasses based bbq sauce (which I've really enjoyed) but a friend of mine gave me a bottle of a vinegar based sauce that was really thin, red, spicy and was just DELICIOUS.

Can someone share their ultimate recipe with me please? I've got a pork shoulder in the WSM that's just begging for some!

Cheers

Give this a try it'll make your pig pucker & squeel
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085

It's superb, although I end up adding a decent amount of mustard and sometimes a tad bit of ketchup. Heresy, I know.

Also, there are different variations of this sauce online, and some say to use paprika as the spice, while others use chili powder or cayenne pepper. I think the original recipe uses some grape soda, so It might be wise to add something with a little sweetness to the bunch. Also is KEY to let it sit for a day or two. I can't stress this enough.

bo's Shark attack is a superb sauce.
You really do need to make it a few days in advance.
I make two separate litre jars because it improves and lasts months in the fridge!

I'll second the shack attack, I made it with the last pulled pork I did and thought it was excellent.

You're describing a Lexington style sauce. On of my favorites is Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

That sounds like Scotts Famous Barbecue Sauce.

My Eastern NC basting sauce,

1 gal cider vinegar

1 Tbs Chili Power

1 Tbs Pepper

1 Tbs Salt

1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.

shake well before basting.

It's superb, although I end up adding a decent amount of mustard and sometimes a tad bit of ketchup. Heresy, I know.

Also, there are different variations of this sauce online, and some say to use paprika as the spice, while others use chili powder or cayenne pepper. I think the original recipe uses some grape soda, so It might be wise to add something with a little sweetness to the bunch. Also is KEY to let it sit for a day or two. I can't stress this enough.

I think you may be refering to this recipe.
I don't care much for it. Apparently though, people from Little Rock Thought the original Shack sauce was the best. I'm not sure this is the original. Please note the recipe calls for garlic salt. You should know not all garlic salt is equal in it's salt content.

http://www.ibdjohn.com/shack/

I used the shark attack recipe with a tablespoon of brown sugar added (I'm sure that'll upset some people!) it was just epic!
I'm never eating molasses based sauce on pulled pork EVER again....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Back