Hit me up with your best WHOLE beef tenderloin recipe....

I have done this a few times and it has always been a hit. The recipe calls for the oven but I cook it in the Akorn.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...ot-sauce/8b9c0c16-aeb5-40e7-b8f8-d5887fd63828
Ya i know Betty Crocker!!

Hmmmmm......I never considered stuffing it.
I've done the stuffed pork loin many times. I'll have to consider this.
I'm just not sure how you can improve on arguably one of the best cuts of beef out there? Sometimes simple just works better. :decision:

After mine is cooked, I make a heavy cream, red wine, peppercorn sauce to go with it.

It don't suck!

I also trim the small end and side part away. I marinate and skewer them, so I have some kabobs to munch on while the roast cooks.

I like to season the meat, then wrap the roasts in bacon, then season the bacon. I reverse sear - when the IT is about 110*, I take off the bacon, baste the roast (EVOO, garlic, rosemary, thyme...), then I sear the roast to IT 125 or 130.

Chop up the bacon and saute it. Add some butter, red wine, beef broth and reduce it. Makes a good sauce.

After mine is cooked, I make a heavy cream, red wine, peppercorn sauce to go with it.

It don't suck!

Well.....you farkin TEASE!!! :frusty:
Like a glaze? Dippin sauce? How thick are you talkin? Do you glaze the roast when done or each slice after carving?

Details. DETAILS!!!! I NEED DETAILS WALTER!!!!

Well.....you farkin TEASE!!! :frusty:
Like a glaze? Dippin sauce? How thick are you talkin? Do you glaze the roast when done or each slice after carving?

Details. DETAILS!!!! I NEED DETAILS WALTER!!!!

Shut the fark up, Donnie!:laugh:

Usually, I'll take two of the small cartons of heavy cream, about a fourth of a bottle of good red wine and about two or three palms full of black peppercorns. Put that in a saucepan and simmer real low for about an hour. It will thicken to the point of a kind of thin gravy.

After that, I'll S&P the sauce to taste.

To start, maybe use one little carton of heavy cream, 1/8 bottle of decent red wine (the kind you'd actually drink) and a couple palm fulls of peppercorns just to try out first. The longer it simmers, the thicker it gets, the tastier it gets! It do not suck!

Oh, afterwards, I just spoon some over the sliced meat. Or, you could use it as a dipping sauce. Whatever floats you In-N-Out!

Is THAT good enough, Donnie???!!:p

Nah. He just heard me coming. Sorry Wamp! Didn't mean to spoil the party! Let me tell you what I think about the whole tenderloins I've cooked: "*"

Yep. Never done one. Interesting thread. :thumb:

I agree it needs to be trimmed. Wish I had pictures but I will do my best to describe. After you trim the silver skin and chain off, take the thin end and fold it back towards the middle. Use butchers twine to tie up in to a pretty even log. Then rub the whole thing with kosher salt. Stick it on a wire rack in your fridge either uncovered(depending on what else is in your fridge) or loosely covered. You can do this anywhere from 4-24 hours out.

Then season with coarse black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and bake or smoke at 225 until an internal of 118. Let rest for about 15 minutes. Then reverse sear in a cast iron skillet. After you remove the roast make a quick au poivre sauce. Deglace the pan with 1/3 cup cognac then add 1 cup of heavy cream and reduce. Have also finished by putting a compound butter on the roast as soon as it comes off the sear (Butter, salt, pepper, minced shallot, parsley, minced garlic)

This was our normal x-mas dinner until I started doing prime rib.

I am sure whatever you decide on it will be delicious.

Shut the fark up, Donnie!:laugh:

Usually, I'll take two of the small cartons of heavy cream, about a fourth of a bottle of good red wine and about two or three palms full of black peppercorns. Put that in a saucepan and simmer real low for about an hour. It will thicken to the point of a kind of thin gravy.

After that, I'll S&P the sauce to taste.

To start, maybe use one little carton of heavy cream, 1/8 bottle of decent red wine (the kind you'd actually drink) and a couple palm fulls of peppercorns just to try out first. The longer it simmers, the thicker it gets, the tastier it gets! It do not suck!

Oh, afterwards, I just spoon some over the sliced meat. Or, you could use it as a dipping sauce. Whatever floats you In-N-Out!

Is THAT good enough, Donnie???!!:p
Pink peppercorns lend a more perfumey flavor while retaining some of the pepper flavor.They grow wild in FL., Calie and Brazil.

I just trim the silver skin and fat, use a simple salt & pepper rub and cook indirect to about 100* then sear to an IT of about 120* (our family really like beef rare) , turning pretty frequently to get all sides. I've done them on the Webers but vhere is a shot of a couple on the Santa Maria ranch grill.
2013-05-25183343HDR_zps112cab19.jpg
Now this is a smart man........He tied the tail of the loin as well as the rest.

If you need a sauce, a demi-glace red wine reduction will work wonderfully here.
Sweat some schallot and garlic in butter, add a full bottle or red wine of your choice, reduce by 1/2-2/3, add a couple TBS of demi-glace or some better than boullion, a few sliced mushrooms if you like and let simmer for a few more minutes until mushrooms are softened.

Hey Wamp, thanks for posting the thread. I was at the grocer's yesterday and happened to run across a very nice looking whole tenderloin that happened to find it's way into my basket. OK, I'll admit I had a 20 dollar off coupon if I spent 200. Plus an additional three dollor off coupon if I spent 10 in the meat department. Well, the thing was JUST enough to bring me to the magic amount to use the soon to expire 20 dollar one and I just hate to not use those...:becky:

So now, I'll know how to cook it! :thumb:

Break out the butchers twine and tie it up nice. On the smoker I like my Tenderloin Brazilian style....EVOO and a heavy hit of course salt. Thats it.

The plan for Christmas Eve dinner with Mrs. Wampus's family has to be a little different this year. Normally, I do a whole prime rib roast, but this year we don't have the time. We'll be attending mass together about 4:00 and I'll have to cook it up after mass.

SO......I was thinking whole beef tenderloin.
My local butcher has them for $7.99/lb (which seems like a pretty good price).
May even do TWO (depending on how many mouths I'll be feeding).

Early thoughts were just to make an herb and cracked peppercorn crust on it and do a reverse sear on the BGE. May even start it (them) on the UDS and sear on the Egg at the end (so I can get the egg SCREAMIN hot for the sear). Figured going until an IT of about 110-115 and then sear it so it ends up around 125-130 IT, rest and slice.

Thinking coriander seed, rosemary, whole (cracked) peppercorn, garlic, kosher salt to start with for the herb crust.

Just thought I'd get the Brethren's take on how they'd go about this.
Any ideas?

That's a nice cut ya got there, I definitely would not go crazy on seasonings or overthink it. Great quality ingredients shine with simple preparations. Olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper, and sea salt. You could grill it whole and if you have lots of people to feed run it through a slicer nice and thin after cooked.
Here is a video explaining how I grill whole tenderloins....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCDkQ8dAQQ

filetmignonsliders8.jpg

filetmignonsliders9.jpg

Nice video Joe. We're you at the game yesterday?

It was a nice day for tailgating.

Yup, we are at every home game. Yeah, 65 degrees 3 days before christmas in NY/NJ is crazy. We had 100 people, our smallest group this season but not a bad turnout considering the Jets level of play, a meaningless game vs another poor team nobody cares about, its proximity to christmas, and the threat of a day of rain.

2 things.....

First, do you always part out the tenderloin like that?
I assumed I'd just take it out of the cryo and trim the fat off and cook it. Do you see an issue with this? Do you use all the parts to cook the same? Just the "big ones"? If you don't cook the "chain" and "small end tip", what do you do with them?

Thanks Wayne. As always.....GREAT advice.

You want to trim it so it cooks nice and evenly. The tip at the end can be folding back on itself to give you even thickness throughout.

If you ever went to a Not-top-shelf steakhouse and had a filet that had a chunk hanging on by fat and grizzle, that is an untrimmed filet. I think you get a much better product properly trimming it down.

Alton Brown did 2 episodes on tenderloin, and saved the chain to cook on a flat top to make cheese steaks.

Back