• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoke & Spice book

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone read this book? :

8538707.jpg

I was getting ready to order " Legends of the Texas Barbecue Cookbook : Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses (Paperback, 2002)
Author: Robb Walsh" from Half.com for $7.99 and I saw the Smoke & Spice book which caught my eye.

Any recommendations for either book?

I have Smoke and Spice and also their next book (can't remember the name and too lazy to look...). Both are very good, with lots of good recipes. I've only made a few of them so far, and all have worked out fine.

Legends is good and Smoke & Spice is good for recipes but I find times and temps off base in some cases not even close.

Both books are great. The recipe for the "Renowned Mr. Brown" in Smoke & Spice got me started on Pork Butt. Smoke and Spice has a lot more meat recipes and variations than the Legends book. I've recommended this book for people who wanted to get started in Qing.

The Legends book is very Texas based, and you know Texas BBQ = beeef. It's more stories than unique recipes for meat, all tho some of the side dishes in it are outstanding.

Smoke and Spice is a good book overall--Jim and the others are right, cook times and temps are off in lots of cases, but there is a vast selection of recipes for rubs, bastes, sauces, etc. plus a lot of good general info. Their other BBQ book is Sublime Smoke, an attempt to create some of the flavor of "real" bbq with out all the time, short cut methods using gas grills, etc. Still a lot of ideas and good recipes there. Both book would be good additions to your library, taken in combination with the advice we get here on this forum. :D :D

I like the legends book too, but to me it is mostly a good read about the history of Texas Q, not so much a how-to or a recipe book.

Like BrooklynQ, the two Jamison books I reccomend to any who wants to get a good start in outdoor cooking; more so than Steve Raichlen's stuff.

qman

I just looked accross the room and say my copy as I type this post. Great resource. I never paid too much attention to the times though, because every smoker is different and requires a little experience.

Thanks guys. Great info. Back to BestWebBuys.com to look for the latest price. I'm buying Smoke & Spice 1st. I'll pick up Legends later.

Anyone ever try the method for french fries in smoke and spice? I have always wanted to, but am always no-carbing it. It sounds interesting.

I'm on my second copy of "Smoke and Spice" and it's about ready for the recycle bin. I used that as my first bible and I've bought three copies for friends and family over the years. It's not the best book, but it's a great one!

both books are good resources. I will say that Walsh's book on Tex-Mex is better than his "Legends of" book.

Re: RE: Smoke & Spice book

parrothead said:
Anyone ever try the method for french fries in smoke and spice? I have always wanted to, but am always no-carbing it. It sounds interesting.

Are you talking about the two-step frying process? I have been doing that for years [when I make fries-not too often now becaus of lo-carbing]. It works great, gives you a great crisp outside, with a creamy inside. Soaking and treating in ice water does take out some of the starch, and results in a cleaner, lighter flavor. A lot of work, because you do have to get each fry completly dry before it hits the hot fat. The two stage frying is definitly worth the effort, even if you do not take time to soak. IMO, at least. :D

qman

RE: Re: RE: Smoke & Spice book

One of the recipes I like best in there is the smoked, fried chicken that uses a buttermilk dip. Smoke for 45 mins, then fry as normal. Wow...

Re: RE: Re: RE: Smoke & Spice book

Arlin_MacRae said:
One of the recipes I like best in there is the smoked, fried chicken that uses a buttermilk dip. Smoke for 45 mins, then fry as normal. Wow...

That sounds great. I wonder how it would do in an open contest. Hmmm.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Smoke & Spice book

Arlin_MacRae said:

Man, I had forgotten all about that one. You are right. Great stuff.

qman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Smoke & Spice book

Are you talking about the two-step frying process?
Yep. That's the one. Will give it a shot in the mouth one of these days.

That book got me started in my smoking endeavors. I have used that book like my bible. I have a few others, but definitely refer to Smoke and Spice more than any other. The cooking times vary, so I don't pay much attention to that part. The recipe for Renowned Mr. Brown is awesome for pork butt.

Back