Cupcake pan Chicken ala Mixon

SmokinGuitarPlayer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
file.php

So , we finally got Myron's book into our stock at the store and I just had to try to make the "cupcake pan" chicken. Here it is ...sorry I didn't have any garnish.

My question to all of you is: Don't the judges get "weirded out" by seeing these balls ?? Instead of real chicken ?

Any judges out there wanna comment?
FB/SGP

file.php

I tmight just be me, but your pix didn't come through.

Regarding the weird little balls of chicken, it doesn't bother me as long as it's Society acceptable chicken!

Someone was selling rectangular muffin pans late year but I don't remember who. These could keep the thighs more like there original shape.

I am a KCBS Certified Judge of three years and several competitions and I would score it as 8’s on appearance.

Smoken Jokers
1- 250 gal off set Wood Burner
2- BGE's
1 40" Master Built Elec.

On one hand it seems to come pretty close to marking to me. On the other hand, I want to take a bite.

I did Muffin pan chicken a couple of times last year
PiB-Chicken-bel-air-2010.jpg

Here are my thoughts on it:

• There is a bias against muffin pan chicken in the North East. I've heard it both in the comp field and in the judge's tent. The buzz in the judge's tent late last year and early this year is "I want to see chicken that looks like chicken"
  • Trimming the femur that small makes me nervous. I'd hate to see a new judge look at MPC and conclude that because of the shape it's boneless, take a huge bite and swallow or choke on that short bone.
  • After trimming a bunch of them I'm concerned about bone fragments / splinters and a possible FO DQ.
Not doing it this year

From what I understand, they are not considering it forming or marking. We have a process that we use and we get amazing bite through skin so that isn't an issue. Also we have ...well ..what we consider a great flavor profile which we're not changing .. We're just messing around with this "pan" thing... One thing ...they were really sort of cool to eat .. we completely deboned them so you can just grab one and bite it .. sort of like a chicken "cake". And with all that sweet sauce on it, they almost taste like cake.

slamdunkpro. I just saw your post and pic. i think tha box looks great. Note, we completely deboned them ....I also tried the little loaf pans last week, leaving the bone in and they were not as nice, as yours for sure. FB/SGP

OK... that I can't figure out ... top row center looks a little splotchy but there is very little wrong with that box as far as I can tell. Looks like a high 8 to me.
FB/SGP

If you saw Chris Hart's (of Ique) chicken entry on the Food Network's Best in Smoke, I think you would have seen a nice chicken presentation. Chris always does real well in chicken when he competes and they look like chicken thighs. He cooked bone in thighs and presented them very nicely. On the show I don't think he had time to scrape all the fat from the skin and it cost him.

One question, do you drill a hole in the bottom of each cup to let it drain or do you let the chicken sit in the jucies as they cook?

I know that I would only attempt to turn the cupcake chicken in as an "Anything But" or Appetizers category. Yes it would freak out judges here. Most wouldn't get it. And I don't care to risk it... Don't heed my advice Brewer, I'm full of chit anyway!

And yes..if cooked correctly they kick a$$!

Back