Korean BBQ: Wang Galbi

So the short ribs been in the fridge since Wednesday. It was time to get it out and grill!
M3EiE31h.jpg

I fired up the Weber charcoal grill and grilled direct. I cut the bone from the rest of the meat to make it easier to grill since the bone portion takes longer to cook. I placed the bones around the perimeter of the grate away from the direct heat.
CiNHK7lh.jpg

FDXQzYDh.jpg

All grilled.
23lpa0Wh.jpg

E7fqO33h.jpg

Time to take it inside the house and eat! Served Wang Galbi with lettuce and Korean perilla leaves, buchu salad (Korean garlic chive salad), kongnamool (soybean sprout banchan), ssamjang sauce (Korean spicy dipping sauce for wraps), and white rice.
GR8iZVZh.jpg

7fRAQhIh.jpg

Of course I have to make a wrap. This wouldn't be Korean BBQ without it.
9SJOXIlh.jpg

Absolutely delicious! The marinade was perfect and the meat had some nice chew yet was tender from being cut thin and scored. Scoring the meat took extra prep time but it made big difference in final cooked tenderness and texture. I have to say this Wang Galbi my wife and I made at home was better than any Korean BBQ restaurant version I've had in Atlanta. No comparison.

One nice bonus of making bone-in short rib galbi vs boneless is this pile of meat candy.
tEB6Wh4h.jpg

I love eating and gnawing on the little meat on the bone at the end of the meal after I've had my fill of the meat portion of the galbi.
0fUYTUqh.jpg

d8unurxh.jpg

I had plenty to share with my dog.
2AnNu7Bh.jpg

Thanks for looking and following along!

You have so many of my favorite things in one place...

I, too, would wrestle the pup for scraps.

Looks incredible.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
One of the most educational posts I’ve come across here! Many thanks. Can you share your galbi marinade recipe?

• Thanks
The perilla...do you buy the leaves or grow it? Wondering what the plant looks like? We have whats called perilla mint on the farm, not sure if it's the same thing. Not good for cows if they eat it, causes respiratory distress and possibly death if they consume enough. We got dry hear the other week, and a farmer in neighboring county lost at least 7 cows from eating perilla. Ive tried looking it up to see if its the same thing before but couldnt really tell.

Thanks all! What I love about ribs is it reheats extremely well in the microwave compared to something like brisket which needs to be reheated via sous vide to prevent drying out. We have good bit of leftovers which we'll eat today.

One of the most educational posts I’ve come across here! Many thanks. Can you share your galbi marinade recipe?
Sure. My wife makes the marinade and it's little different every time as she often adds other ingredients depending on mood. But she uses this as the base marinade. This recipe makes big batch and should be good for more than 10 lbs of meat. What we do is make big batch of marinade and freeze what we don't use so we can have some in stock when mood strikes.

Korean galbi marinade base

Soy sauce 2 cup
White sugar 1 cup
Rice cooking wine 1 cup
Water 2 cup
Minced garlic 1/2 cup
Minced ginger 1/2 tablespoon
Sesame oil 1/3 cup
Black pepper 1 tablespoon
Onion purée; 1 onion
Pear purée; 2 pears
Korean plum extract; 2 tablespoon

You can use a blender to mix everything. Add more soy sauce or sugar/honey/Korean plum extract if marinade taste is too sweet or salty and adjust to taste.

The perilla...do you buy the leaves or grow it? Wondering what the plant looks like? We have whats called perilla mint on the farm, not sure if it's the same thing. Not good for cows if they eat it, causes respiratory distress and possibly death if they consume enough. We got dry hear the other week, and a farmer in neighboring county lost at least 7 cows from eating perilla. Ive tried looking it up to see if its the same thing before but couldnt really tell.

We grow it. We've been enjoying and eating the leaves all summer so the plants don't have any big leaves left. These are Korean perilla. It's different from Japanese variety even though it may look similar.

IX2d4cIh.jpg

zdRxnv1h.jpg

:clap2: That looks amazing!! lots of love and attention put into that meal and it shows

• Thanks
The perilla we have in the fields is a bit more branchy than that, not as straight. Also tends to have a bit of a darker color on some of the plant. Wish it was something edible and in demand! Thanks for posting the pic

• Thanks
Awesome thread. I love Kalbi. Dad was stationed in Korea a couple of times and he introduced me to it and Bulgogi. I'm a picky eater, mostly just meat, so when I go to Korean restaurants, I pass on all the side dishes and just eat meat and rice. When I ran up a bill of $70+ eating Kalbi and Bulgogi one Tuesday at a local Korean restaurant, I decided that I needed to learn how to make both at home.

Thanks for posting the marinade recipe. The one I came up with is similar, but you listed some ingredients that I'll have to try.

• Thanks
Awesome thread. I love Kalbi. Dad was stationed in Korea a couple of times and he introduced me to it and Bulgogi. I'm a picky eater, mostly just meat, so when I go to Korean restaurants, I pass on all the side dishes and just eat meat and rice. When I ran up a bill of $70+ eating Kalbi and Bulgogi one Tuesday at a local Korean restaurant, I decided that I needed to learn how to make both at home.

Thanks for posting the marinade recipe. The one I came up with is similar, but you listed some ingredients that I'll have to try.

I'm not a big Bulgogi person. I eat it but I don't love it. The marinade for Bulgogi and Galbi are very similar with bulgogi usually little sweeter. Bulgogi used to be grilled but now most people just cook it in a pan on the stove. I rather eat galbi. And the galbi I prefer is not the marinated kind I made here but plain version with no marinade. But marinated galbi is great too, just not as good as plain IMO. But in order for the plain version to work, you have to grill at table side and eat it right off the grill while it's hot. If you grill outside in big batch and bring it inside to eat, the plain galbi won't be as good since the meat will have cooled and dried out. The marinated ones don't suffer from this problem so it's better for outside grilling.

Most marinade recipe for galbi will have green onions. We tend to leave it out as I find the green onions tend to burn on the grill. We tried blending the green onions in a mixer but it has that slimy sticky feel when blended that I don't like. If I add green onions to the marinade, I just cut in large pieces and take it out of the marinade before I grill.

I'm not a big Bulgogi person. I eat it but I don't love it. The marinade for Bulgogi and Galbi are very similar with bulgogi usually little sweeter. Bulgogi used to be grilled but now most people just cook it in a pan on the stove. I rather eat galbi. And the galbi I prefer is not the marinated kind I made here but plain version with no marinade. But marinated galbi is great too, just not as good as plain IMO. But in order for the plain version to work, you have to grill at table side and eat it right off the grill while it's hot. If you grill outside in big batch and bring it inside to eat, the plain galbi won't be as good since the meat will have cooled and dried out. The marinated ones don't suffer from this problem so it's better for outside grilling.

Most marinade recipe for galbi will have green onions. We tend to leave it out as I find the green onions tend to burn on the grill. We tried blending the green onions in a mixer but it has that slimy sticky feel when blended that I don't like. If I add green onions to the marinade, I just cut in large pieces and take it out of the marinade before I grill.

I kind of cheat and use the same marinade for Kalbi and Bulgogi. Basically, the difference to me is only in the cut of meat. Sacrilege? Perhaps, but I don't know enough about it to know the difference.

I like to do bulgogi over coals on my Weber (added crossed grate) when possible, but I often do it in a pan right at the table. My setup looks similar to this one

tabletop-cooking-gas-grill-cast-iron-grill-plate.jpg

I sit down at the dinner table with the butane stove and that "Korean BBQ pan", a huge mixing bowl with 3 or 4 lbs of marinated meat in it, my Zoji rice cooker, some tongs and whatever accompaniments others might want, like seaweed squares, leaf lettuce, gochujang, cabbage kimchi, or whatever else.

After that, it's a free for all of sorts. Anyone can grab pieces of raw meat from the bowl and put it on the pan to cook. Each piece is kind of cooked to order. When a piece of meat is ready, grab it off the pan, add whatever you want and eat. While chewing, throw more meat in the pan.

This works for both Kalbi and Bulgogi. Bulgogi is what we usually do simply out of cheapness as top round or eye of round is often $3 per lb. Ribs around here are $6 to $8 per lb. Factoring in the amount of bone, top/eye of round is much more cost effective. It's the same when we go out to a Korean restaurant. We'll load up on 4 or 5 orders of bulgogi with 1 or 2 orders of Kalbi

Yeah, it's cheating. Definitely "Americanized" or "cheaped out" so to speak, but it works for me.

• Thanks
BTW, brilliant call on simply using a hacksaw to cut those rib plates down. I never thought of that. I had considered buying an electric meat saw off of FB Marketplace to do my own. A danged hacksaw is a much simpler solution.

• Thanks
I kind of cheat and use the same marinade for Kalbi and Bulgogi. Basically, the difference to me is only in the cut of meat. Sacrilege? Perhaps, but I don't know enough about it to know the difference.

I like to do bulgogi over coals on my Weber (added crossed grate) when possible, but I often do it in a pan right at the table. My setup looks similar to this one

tabletop-cooking-gas-grill-cast-iron-grill-plate.jpg

I sit down at the dinner table with the butane stove and that "Korean BBQ pan", a huge mixing bowl with 3 or 4 lbs of marinated meat in it, my Zoji rice cooker, some tongs and whatever accompaniments others might want, like seaweed squares, leaf lettuce, gochujang, cabbage kimchi, or whatever else.

After that, it's a free for all of sorts. Anyone can grab pieces of raw meat from the bowl and put it on the pan to cook. Each piece is kind of cooked to order. When a piece of meat is ready, grab it off the pan, add whatever you want and eat. While chewing, throw more meat in the pan.

This works for both Kalbi and Bulgogi. Bulgogi is what we usually do simply out of cheapness as top round or eye of round is often $3 per lb. Ribs around here are $6 to $8 per lb. Factoring in the amount of bone, top/eye of round is much more cost effective. It's the same when we go out to a Korean restaurant. We'll load up on 4 or 5 orders of bulgogi with 1 or 2 orders of Kalbi

Yeah, it's cheating. Definitely "Americanized" or "cheaped out" so to speak, but it works for me.

You're doing it right! I do lot of indoor tabletop cooking as well. Especially in the winter. I have two tabletop electric grills and one butane stove with dome lid setup just like in your picture. I also have Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Go Anywhere, and Lodge Hibachi grill I use for camping and outdoor tabletop cooking. Cooking indoors do create bit of smoke but we just open the windows and cook away at the table. It's just fun way to eat and everyone at the table interacts with each other.

Like I mentioned, I prefer grilling unseasoned meats when cooking table side. Here's me cooking samgyeopsal (grilled pork belly).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265607

Here's another thread of me grilling chadolbagi (grilled beef brisket) and boneless galbi.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257515

Pork belly, beef brisket, and short ribs were all grilled naked with zero seasoning. Not even salt and pepper. I use various dipping sauces with the cooked meat as I eat it. This way I can have different flavor profile with every bite instead of just having one taste of the marinade.

Back