Finally Trying a "Real" Rub

Sly-one

Full Fledged Farker
I wanted to try a comparison between the spices I've always used for ribs versus some real (ie, purchased) rub, so I contacted Steph and ordered a 6-pack of his Simply Marvelous rubs. I put on a thin coating of mustard to hold the rub on, used the Season All for a base and then used the Cherry rub. The slabs came already trimmed St. Louis style.
For my own seasoning I used "whats-this-here" sauce for a binder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, black pepper, Morton's season all and some Webers Kickin' Chicken. Then I threw them both on the UDS.
I cooked them 1:20/1/:45 at temps that ranged 230-250 (depending on the breeze), spritzed with apple juice at the turns and when going into the foil, and cooked over charcoal with 2 hickory chunks. It still amazes me how little charcoal the UDS requires. I keep cutting back the amount and still have a lot extra left at the end of the smoke.
I have to say the the ribs with my seasoning were most excellent, but the ones with the the Cherry rub were even better. The only problem is that next time, I want to use even more of the cherry rub. Great flavor, and I am now a rub convert!!

The slab with the cherry rub is the one on the left.
SmokedRibs10-12-11a.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
I'd hit that!!

Bob

Ha, we did hit it, and hard! I've always also used my own homemade BBQ sauce but tonight, we ate em dry and loved it! I use a small block of hickory to hold my temp probe at meat level, and I see to the left of it is a bone that popped out. Whoops!

Tim

Nice looking food!!

I have plans to order the exact same 6 piece set of flavors. How much was the shipping to FL? I saw $19 on the site but maybe in reality its less?

Nice looking food!!

I have plans to order the exact same 6 piece set of flavors. How much was the shipping to FL? I saw $19 on the site but maybe in reality its less?

Yes, it is less and he refunds the difference very quickly. I got $8.50 back as a refund for shipping.
Also, if you put "BRETHREN" in for a coupon code you get a 10% discount for being a Bro here. It's a win-win situation.
I also ordered the rubber gloves and used them today when handling the ribs in the foil. No burned fingers! I liked that. :-D

Also, the containers in the sampler pack are not small ones. They are 12 oz and up to 15 ounces in each bottle (jar, shaker???), you get a lot of each flavor.

That is why I really want to go there for the sampler. It gives you enough to work out what you really like so there isn't a question when it comes time to order the big bag 0 rub.

"Real Rub"? For me, "real rub" is the one that you make yourself...commercially produced rub is"Sears" rub.

What makes the rub you make at home any better in quality than the rub that is made comercially?

Sly-one - Nice work on those ribs. Steph makes some phenominal rubs!

"Real Rub"? For me, "real rub" is the one that you make yourself...commercially produced rub is"Sears" rub.

I have to question this statement purely based on the fact that the commercially prepared rubs we are buying from the people on this site are not floor scraping spices being thrown together.

Mike, Ryan, Steph and many others are going to the spice purveyors and hand selecting from the finest available spices known to mankind and blending them for us. Their bulk purchases make our end product more affordable and so I would equate a store brand to maybe Sears or a Ford where as one of the microbatch rubs we can get to maybe a Maybach or Lamborghini.

I simply do not have the access to the high quality ingredients that these companies use and McCormick brand spices, while good are the sears brand of spices vs. what I am buying from these other companies.

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I got some rubs from Traeger a while back, and have been given some byron's butt rub as a gift, and found that they are both EXTREMELY salty for my taste. I basically wrote off commercial rubs assumming that they all add too much salt to save cost on other spices. Based on what I've read on this site lately, I might need to re-think that position. Again, thanks for the info, and your ribs look great.

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I got some rubs from Traeger a while back, and have been given some byron's butt rub as a gift, and found that they are both EXTREMELY salty for my taste. I basically wrote off commercial rubs assumming that they all add too much salt to save cost on other spices. Based on what I've read on this site lately, I might need to re-think that position. Again, thanks for the info, and your ribs look great.

Definitely not the case. Many of our rubs (Brethren Owned Co.'s) have a very low salt content. Explore. You wont be sorry.

Nice post...Steph's rubs are great...he uses only top notch spices and has gone through countless blending versions to get them just right from his bottler. Sometimes the recipe gets lost in translation...Steph makes sure his does not. What you are getting are his "homemade" rubs!

In The Netherlands commercial rubs aren't (or should I say weren't) readily available and many of the Dutch brethren still prefer making their own rub but now I have the good stuff (many from brethren here (if not all)) I know what I'm using! Cherry rules for a sweet rub, but this weekend I'm trying the Sweet seduction.. Then again, I'm also lazy so if others make perfect rubs for me.... need I say more?

Great looking ribs Sly-one!

To me commerical rubs are made by companies like Morton's and sold in Wally's and big name supermarket chains. There is nothing wrong with them but I'd rather support my fellow brethren and know that I am getting a better quality product in return. I realize the hard work and testing that they all have put into their rubs and see it in my final product. Sure I can make my own and do so when I'm in a pinch but i do not get the same consistency that i do with using "proven" brethren rubs...YMMV :wink:

Yes, I think you'll find that many of the rubs you can buy in the stores are too salty; check the ingredient list before buying. The guys that advertise their own rubs on this forum do indeed buy high quality spices, fresh and in bulk, to make some outrageously good rubs that we probably couldn't afford to make on our own. Please don't discount our professional rub makers that advertise on this forum. They get their flavors from unique blending of great spices, not from an over abundance of salt. Go to the "Brethren Sales and Ventures" threads and check these guys out. I have yet to deal with any of them that aren't stand-up guys with great products.
Expatpig, I used to feel the same way you do, and still do for most of the store-bought brands. But, I have since learned a lot from the guys that sell their rubs commercially that are members of this forum.
And no, I don't work for or get kick-backs from any of them for saying this. I just feel the truth needs to be spoken.

Back