Untrimmed Brisket Flats or packer?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have yet to smoke a whole packer on my 18.5 WSM. I am a bit concerned with space.

I saw in the grocery store two UN-trimmed brisket flats which looked much better than the standard no-fat trimmed brisket flats.

Maybe I'm nuts but I didn't want to mess with the point (i want to serve pulled pork and sliced brisket at a party) so I was thinking that these untrimmed flats might be a good idea. They'd fit better and would be nicely fat insulated during the smoke (as compared to trimmed flat).

Anyone prefer the untrimmed flat? Or should I just man up and throw a whole packer on there?!

Do what works for you. Many folks have cooked just flats and had great meat. If you have sighted some excellent flats, go for it.

I agree with landarc. I like the point more than the flat, but a well cooked flat is excellent also. Especially if you're already going to have PP.

as landarc says... do what works for you... if you only want slices, then cook the untrimmed flat.

that said, you can fit a full packer on a 18.5" WSM with a little curl on the end (or as some have done drape it over something until it shrinks a bit).

You can slice a full packer too...

as landarc says... do what works for you... if you only want slices, then cook the untrimmed flat.

that said, you can fit a full packer on a 18.5" WSM with a little curl on the end (or as some have done drape it over something until it shrinks a bit).

You can slice a full packer too...

beercanbrisket.jpg

Yep, I bet I've posted this sketch a hundred times, saying "drape it over a beer can until is shrinks enough to lay flat". One reply was classic. The guy said "that worked great,.... but next time I will use an empty beer can".

Back