Kcbs bod agenda 2-05-10

That was a $hitty read. Propane? Really? And have to agree 100% with Todd, thanks for the hard work Paul, keep up the reporting

Propane and drunks -- that's a great mix.
Allow propane. Put in a breathalizer for cooks. No reason you have to get drunk.

Besides there's more sites with propane tanks than ones without. Weed burners, turkey fryers, pits with propane and gas assist and the list goes on not to mention the car gas tanks right next to an open charcoal or wood fire with sparks. Especially those oil leaking cars.

Most folks that invest 10K in a cooker are not planning on being drunk. It's the idiots burning small upright charcoal burners that get knocked over by drunks.

I thought the conception (?) of the "Competitor Series" was so that KCBS could allow propane, and thusly propane cooks, cookers and, most importantly propane SPONSORS, into the mix?
Did that go away?

I'm guessing that members won't be able to listen to this meeting by phone, since the BoD will be in Memphis.

a little harsh, doncha think?

... It's the idiots burning small upright charcoal burners that get knocked over by drunks.

now now... try to be nice to us idiots... :roll:

Email the BOD today with your comments. Some have already left for the conference so email all. I've sent my comments and even had 3 replies so far.
I emailed them my thoughts. I am sure that doesn't mean anything but my own satisfaction.

Allow propane. Put in a breathalizer for cooks. No reason you have to get drunk.

Besides there's more sites with propane tanks than ones without. Weed burners, turkey fryers, pits with propane and gas assist and the list goes on not to mention the car gas tanks right next to an open charcoal or wood fire with sparks. Especially those oil leaking cars.

Most folks that invest 10K in a cooker are not planning on being drunk. It's the idiots burning small upright charcoal burners that get knocked over by drunks.

See that's just it.

Most of us (read most of KCBS membership) does not have 10K to invest in a cooker, nor would we want to.

It is the cook not the cooker....remember?

If you can't create great BBQ over an an open pit (read live fire) you shouldn't be in a BBQ contest anyways.

There are lot's of cooking competitions that use gas....ovens...BBQ shouldn't be one of them.

Ford - You hit a nerve brother.

A breathalyzer, propane?

I can't think of a quicker way to screw up a good contest.

Let's outlaw alcohol, get rid of charcoal, wood fires and anything else that could be considered offensive.

We will all get our gas grills, wood chips in a foil pack & our green tea, and go pretend we are cooking BBQ.

Come on man! (ESPN mod)

My comments in red. Any chance you'll be in Mobile, Little Rock or Hammond? Be glad to put a side bet on how we finish and I'm coning down to your neck of the woods for these contests not in the friendly confines of the midwest.

See that's just it.

Most of us (read most of KCBS membership) does not have 10K to invest in a cooker, nor would we want to.

Speak for yourself. I see a large % of team with well over $10 k invested at contests these days and the % continues to go up.

It is the cook not the cooker....remember?

So who cares what people cook on. Unless you are threatened by cooks using gas because they may put out a better product and it would prove they were the better cook.

If you can't create great BBQ over an an open pit (read live fire) you shouldn't be in a BBQ contest anyways.

If you feel this way start your own BBQ association with these rules. Don't try to outlaw others to meet your standards.

And a WSM is not an open pit as it can be a smoldering pile of charcoal. Same for a Stumps, Backwoods and many other pits.

There are lot's of cooking competitions that use gas....ovens...BBQ shouldn't be one of them.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Ford - You hit a nerve brother.

A breathalyzer, propane?

I can't think of a quicker way to screw up a good contest.

Let's outlaw alcohol, get rid of charcoal, wood fires and anything else that could be considered offensive.

We will all get our gas grills, wood chips in a foil pack & our green tea, and go pretend we are cooking BBQ.

Come on man! (ESPN mod)
Many/most contests have a no alcohol policy but let it slide so long as teams are discrete and don't cause problems. Some are in public parks and as such are enforced by the local police dept and they have the right to arrest anybody with an open container.

Now I'm not saying don't drink but there's no need to get drunk. If that's why you go to a contest then fine with me, just means one less team I have to worry about at awards time.

But if a person is drunk using a WSM and knocks it over and start a fire I hope they throw the book at them. No reason for that to ever happen.

FYI i enjoy an adult beverage at a contest just don't see any reason to drink more that is allowed for driving. Cookers and cars can be dangerous when operated by a drunk. Designate a sober person to tend fire and the rest of the team can have fun just stay away from the fires.

I was at the rules meeting....
Propane and drunks -- that's a great mix.
Propane was brought up in the same conversation as pellets... It went something like...
"Should we allow propane? This could end up like a pellet discussion."

Vote was no. End of discussion.

That was a $hitty read. Propane? Really? And have to agree 100% with Todd, thanks for the hard work Paul, keep up the reporting

Yea, and you can thank Paul for the whole chicken conversation. He was the only one that was pushing it. Interesting how it ends up on the agenda when no one else was for it....

Yea, I feel REAL represented...

Many/most contests have a no alcohol policy but let it slide so long as teams are discrete and don't cause problems. Some are in public parks and as such are enforced by the local police dept and they have the right to arrest anybody with an open container.

Now I'm not saying don't drink but there's no need to get drunk. If that's why you go to a contest then fine with me, just means one less team I have to worry about at awards time.

But if a person is drunk using a WSM and knocks it over and start a fire I hope they throw the book at them. No reason for that to ever happen.

FYI i enjoy an adult beverage at a contest just don't see any reason to drink more that is allowed for driving. Cookers and cars can be dangerous when operated by a drunk. Designate a sober person to tend fire and the rest of the team can have fun just stay away from the fires.

Would you get a BWI???

My comments in red. Any chance you'll be in Mobile, Little Rock or Hammond? Be glad to put a side bet on how we finish and I'm coning down to your neck of the woods for these contests not in the friendly confines of the midwest.

Yes - there are a lot of folks investing a lot of money in their rigs & cookers, but it is still a small percentage of the overall BBQ population.

KCBS is trying to be more inclusive (i think this is where the whole misguided propane thing originated), getting to a point that it would require 10s of thousands of dollars to be able to successfully compete will run a lot of people out of KCBS, not towards it.

It is not a matter of being scared - to me it is a matter of tradition, and the meaning of BBQ.

The one reason I am competing now is because it takes a minimal amount of money to get started and I enjoy getting calls on my inexpensive equipment, while teams with a 30K rig are sitting there pissed off that I am walking.

I truly wish someone would start an association that brings the tradition back to BBQ, and gets rid of all the ancillary crap.

I think KCBS would see a drop in membership if that was to happen.

Any rule setting or changing is always surrounded by posturing, complaining, and people that think they know a better way.

We are no different, but I for one will continue to compete and follow the rules, whatever they are, unless it gets to the point that the judges have become used to meat cooked in a 20K propane fueld rig, and won't score anything else well, because they think it tastes like wood smoke instead of flavorless propane.....

In which case I wll be glad competing is just a hobby and not a full time gig that I would be forced to get a second mortgage just to compete.

If we ever happen to be at the same contest, you will recognize me.
I will be the tall, stocky hungover dude with the cheap equipment getting a higher call than you. :mrgreen:

I was at the rules meeting....

Propane was brought up in the same conversation as pellets... It went something like...
"Should we allow propane? This could end up like a pellet discussion."

Vote was no. End of discussion.

Yea, and you can thank Paul for the whole chicken conversation. He was the only one that was pushing it. Interesting how it ends up on the agenda when no one else was for it....

Yea, I feel REAL represented...

All I can say is Ditto, neither of these things were wanted by the majority of folks at the meeting. I am a little confused...

Back