Galvanizing and smoking...

K

Kevin Garceau

I hear how its a no-no, and everyone building UDS or other smokers are bending over backwards to get stainless nuts/bolts etc.

However my WSM arrived today I put it together within the first few moments, and noticed all the nuts/bolts are galvanized, and the grate holders are galvanized?????

Struck me kind of odd....

BTW - WSM is resting comfortably, preparing itself for its first cook tomorrow. Im off to the butcher (awesome country butcher just down my country road) for some bone in butt!

Are they galvanized or just "non polished" stainless steel? I had forged stainless steel burners in my gasser and they appeared galvanized but weren't.

They sure look just exactly like the galvanized ones I have in my drawers. I could be wrong, but I would bet one cold beer they are galvanized. I dont give up my beers too easily ya know.

If so I would be worried. I don't have a WSM so I was just guessing. I know I do only stainless or untreated steal in mine.

I cannot remember if the WSM bolts are SS but they definitely are not galvanized. I would think if anything they would be Grade 2 or 5 and come zinc plated. Congrads on the new cooker, WSM's are great.

if they are shiny they are plated. if they are dull then they are galvanized. mine are plated and i'm sure that's all that weber stocks. i can't imagine that they are galvanized.

What ^^^^^ said but make mine a Busch Light please. (watching calories mod):mrgreen:

Galv metal will not release fumes until you get it at a high temp. I think that around 1500 degree . So dont worry about bolts on a smoker getting that hot .

what jestridge says. dont think you could ever get it hot enough to worry about.

I've researched this issue in depth lately and the general conclusion is that galvanized plated metal starts liberating gas at minimal heat.Not always is it safe to assume 1500 degree range. Most hardware is plated with nickel and or cadium, not zinc which is in the galvanizing process. Two -three hundred degree temps. being common to us means why take a chance? Ask anyone that has had metal fume disease if it was worth the chance.

Back