Catering Mac and Cheese

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi all-
I'll be catering a party of 175 people. They're getting pulled pork and cheesy potatoes, as well as mac and cheese. (going to be a bound up party:shocked:).
Anyway, I'm having trouble getting a good idea for how much mac and cheese to make. My original estimate was around 65 lbs but that sounds like too much to me.
Could somebody please help?
Thanks

Now, that is not a heart healthy menu. No sirreee.

I don't quite know, but, I think I would start with 1/4 pound of M&C per person, that works out to 44 pounds total.

1 meat--pulled pork?

2 side dishes only----both starches?

is that correct?

quantity of side dishes is determined by how many things there is to fill the plate---usually a 4 ounce portion of each side dish----however---not enough sides causes a caterer to require larger portions of the existing sides

some sort of salad or bread added to the menu may actually help you

SIDE DISHES ARE YOUR FRIEND

That's correct. I just do what they want. I think this is it.

1 meat--pulled pork?

2 side dishes only----both starches?

is that correct?

quantity of side dishes is determined by how many things there is to fill the plate---usually a 4 ounce portion of each side dish----however---not enough sides causes a caterer to require larger portions of the existing sides

some sort of salad or bread added to the menu may actually help you

SIDE DISHES ARE YOUR FRIEND

I come up with 65# at a 6oz serving. Be aware that is half cheese sauce and half noodles. I am not sure how much the noodles will gain in weight when you cook them. Are you using regular sized buns or a slider bun?

I come up with 65# at a 6oz serving. Be aware that is half cheese sauce and half noodles. I am not sure how much the noodles will gain in weight when you cook them. Are you using regular sized buns or a slider bun?

Regular buns. 3 1/2 inch.

if there is only 2 side dishes then a 6 ounce serving may be appropriate----and 60--65 pounds would be close.

Potatoes I always figure 1/4 pound potato for each person---but once again---only 2 side dishes may require more.

Sometimes as a caterer I see problems with a customer's vision for a meal. I try to communicate my fears with the customer to insure a good time for all. If the guests are not happy with the meal----it is always the caterer's fault. I see problems with this menu
---ask any female if they think that this menu is ok-----if not maybe try to ask the client if you could add in a salad of some sort---just my observations and probably unwanted opinion

Perhaps they are supplying the other sides. YOu should check that out before making yours.

My experience with mac n cheese is that a hotel pan full feeds 35-40 people.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I talked with the couple and had them add another side to their menu. It's going to work out better for them and me in the long run.

Back